Selecting pipes for an extended trip... help!!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by SalopSt, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

So.... that's:

* a big assed Vauen white spot, semi-bent apple-- for My English blends
    * one of my father's nicely funnelled rusticated Pete-- My Virginia flake pipe
    * my spot-on, absolutely perfect, straight as a die Barling billiard from grampa -- for, well, everything really
    * a new-ish Balekmar briar just for Burleys

(and a bang-around small Pete-- the always-in-my-pocket type)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It was a tough call. And yes I know that's five, but the pocket pipe does not count :thu2:

As to fuel for these things, I'll travel with Old Ironsides and Chairman's flake.

2. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I wonder how many pipes you have. I own 4 brier, 1 meer & 1 cob. When I left for Kuwait, I left my meer at home & took everything else. They were in a little pelican case. When I was done w. them they went right back in there.

The beautiful thing about not having a collection is that each of them are intimate & personal. Each serves a specific use & purpose & is cooked-in & dedicated for certain blends. I consider them an extension of my back porch, no matter where I go in the world. No matter where I am, when they're lit, I'm home.

As far as tobacco, I'd take my favorite 3 tins, & a pouch of something. The rest you can supplement in good time. 5 is a good number. You may not smoke some days. That would eliminate the need to have something for each day of the week.

Beauty is I'm deciding which tobacco to take instead of which pipes! ;)

Basil Meadows likes this.
  3. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

@Jason1977
    I inherited 5 (five) Petersons from my late father, in a rack, his 'display' pieces. I could not bear to pitch them because of the memories, and the more I "cleaned up" his house the more I found; and some of his father's too! I restored them, and started smoking them, and bought them a few friends, so now I am about at 2o pipes. I guess that puts me inthe nostalgic pipe-smoker category!

I consider those that I have bought replaceable, but I cannot imagine the irreplaceable not traveling with me-- as battered and loved as they were and are.

Thank you for your comment. His biars are beter smoked, and smoked to dust, and better lost in some adventure than lost in some shed.

Basil Meadows and jason1977 like this.
  4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Wow, now those are special. I can see the predicament. None of my family were pipe smokers. They were either non-smokers or into cigars. I'd be the first in a few generations to be a pipe smoker. It's ok. I don't mind living my life creating estate pipes of the future, LOL!

Enjoy New England. Architecture should look familiar. Names of towns, cities, (their spellings), etc. Types of shops, etc. You'll love it. I grew up in CT, lived there & Maine pretty much all my life. We used to have a joke in Maine about the women there. Q: What's the difference between a woman from Maine & a moose? A: The woman is the one w. the flannel shirt.

Enjoy!

Basil Meadows likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

My travel thing holds 4 pipes .. if it's a work trip [ and it always seems to be ] then I take 3 work pipes [ meaning beater pips ] and one awesome pipe . The trip I'm on now [ the miami hell trip ] I got two of my pipes and two of the wifes pipes .... so it's been either a Grabow Grand duke that I just go tor a 1930 Dunhill Innertube

6. phinz

phinz Active Member

I tend to travel with at least one Falcon, my first briar (A Wessex), one of my Tinskys and a Pete Aran P-Lip. Every time I go to pack the 4-pipe case, these seem to gravitate to my hand automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.