• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.

Semois - Vincent Manil

Smell right out of the foil is a big dusty tobacco drying barn. Rich and un-mucked with. Bone dry and tight-packed, but uniform cut and coloration.

Packed a half bowl tightly in my fairly large Doug Erwin Nosewarmer, tamped tightly as per the other reviewers experiences.

Char is cigar leaf upfront in the smell but a taste is less peppery than most, and a slight bit of sweetness. Predominant flavor is of walnuts, perhaps toasted a bit too much. Blend isn't much of a chameleon, I had a fairly tasty bowl from start to finish, a fine flavor indeed, the only change occurring with a zealous few puffs that gave me a slightly bitter (but no bite) taste that calmed when I let my bowl cool.

Room note was "exactly a cigar" as my wife reported.

As I had this bowl after the gym, I really shouldn't report how potent the nicotine kick was but wow... it was like I got smacked in the face by a Chilean Sea Bass. I'm sure after a more relaxing afternoon with some sweet tea or a nice bourbon the hit would have been much more tolerable.

Summary. I don't have much to say on this one that really hasn't already been said. What it lacks in complexity it makes up for in quality, it's rich without being too "thick", it's nutty, but sweeter than most American burleys. I absolutely love traditional burleys and this one will have plenty of space on my shelf. Looking forward to trying it in a cob.
I don't agree. It was dry and dusty upon arrival. The package is badly designed and you have a lot of trouble with spilling tobacco if you're not careful. It is way too high in nicotine for me and, if you're not careful, you get significant tongue bite. Topping it all off, it is one of the most expensive tobacco I have ever smoked and, at least for me, not worth it.

I don't agree. It was dry and dusty upon arrival. The package is badly designed and you have a lot of trouble with spilling tobacco if you're not careful. It is way too high in nicotine for me and, if you're not careful, you get significant tongue bite. Topping it all off, it is one of the most expensive tobacco I have ever smoked and, at least for me, not worth it.
The trick is in the sipping. But to each his own I guess. Excellent tobacco if you ask me

Coda

You get more for your money, though: it's super dry, and sold by weight...

will

Semois being expensive is just skewed perception.
If available in the 1.75oz size it would be around 13 bucks which puts it in the St Bruno/ Deluxe Navy Rolls price range.

But you should take into account the moisture level.
I'm sure a package of Semois will last longer than 2 tins of FVF.
Yet they are the same weight of tobacco.

Blackmouth

I understand this blend comes from a simple family operation rather than a large tobacco mfr.
That always adds a little extra perk when I spend my pipe/tobacco money nowadays.
I look forward to trying this at some point.

I do hydrate it a bit . It tastes similar to the French Gauloise cigarettes . I also like 5 brothers in a cigarette ... both are fantastic . Red Cap[ the regular one ] makes a nice cigarette too and it's very cheap
I will have to give this a try! Man Gauloise, it has been years since I last had one. For sure not all cigarettes are created equal.