SG Balkin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigJ, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

So I stopped at a local cig shop so a friend of mine could grab a few cigars, and what did I find? SG Balkin flake. What a surprise. I knew this store carried some grabows and such and some bulk blends from a local B&M, but I couldn't believe they had some tinned tobacco. Mind you it wasn't a huge selection (some SG, Peterson, erinmore) but it was still something. This company has about 10 stores around me so I guess I'll have to check them all out.

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Good deal J! I love SG Balken, so great find. After all the talk of FVF, I was surprised to find I liked Navy Flake and Balken Flake even better.

3. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I'm a fan of SG's navy flake, but this is my first go with Balkin. I've heard it described as navy without the rum.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, did you buy some?

BradNTX likes this.
  5. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Of course! TAD always wins

Snake likes this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good for you, SG balkan is almost a red headed step child, it's not 1792, or FVF, it is, however, a damn good, rock solid blend.

If you don't like it, I'll let you send it to me. I'll smoke it, and I won't charge you a thing. That's just how I am.

BigJ, Mark w4mms and BradNTX like this.
  7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Which store J?

8. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Smokers outlet in Roseville. I just happened to be in the area while at work. The guy wasn't sure if any of the other locations carried tins so I'll have to go hunting myself

9. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

SG Balkan is wonderful!

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have been to about a dozen Smokers Outlets here. (Commerce, Waterford, and Warren) Most are crap. A few carry Peterson tins only and maybe a few Ashton's. Some only carry OTCs (PA, SWR, CH, Midleton's, etc) and some none at all! I have not been to the Roseville one and will have to see how far it is from my work travels. They usually have better prices than Churchills, but JR usually has the best prices. Thanks Jay!

11. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Unless you happen to be on this side of town, I wouldn't bother with the drive. While the price was right ($10) the selection isn't worth it. The only thing that there was more than two tins of was erinmore (2 100g and 2 50g) only 1 tin each of the petersons (none of which I smoke) and 2 of the Balkin flake and Brackin flake. The guy didn't know much about how the tins got there but talked a lot about the Churchill blends (they did have the largest selection of Churchill blends besides churchills itself, but obviously not any cheeper) but it is worth the gamble for me to check out some of the locations closer to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.