SG Chocolate Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NBPipe, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

I just made a trade and I'm really excited to try it. I'm kinda timid about Latakia but, I read it plays a background note and if "sipped" properly, the chocolate flavor emerges.

There are a lot of reviews about it but, anyone have other comments as to what I'm in for :puffy:

Traded it for a tin of Grousemoor I bought on a lark at a B&M that I hadn't planned on smoking until well into the future.

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I just bought a tin of this today actually (saw it on the shelf at the B&M), what a coincidence. I haven't popped it yet, but I think I'm about to pop the tin, lay some out to dry, and smoke a bowl of it. I'm hesitant to put it in my precious new Northern Briars pipe though, don't want to ghost that beauty with a bunch of Lakeland essence. I tend to smoke my Lakelands in an English second straight brandy that I have, so I'll probably do just that. Anyhow, I'll get back to you and let you know what I think of it as soon as I try it. I'm excited about it too!

By the way, have you ever smoked Grousemoor? I'm curious about that one myself.

3. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Cool. I have not smoked Grousemoor. Seems like one for more advanced pallets??? Look forward to hear how you like the CF.

4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

CF is great and so is Grousemoor!
    I actually like all the SG blends I have tried (over 20) except maybe Westmoorland. Maybe I will revist it at a later date. Black Rope XXX is also an interesting beast.
    FVF, BBF, CF, etc/ etc.
    All good stuff.
    Try them all!

Mount Mandolin and FlatbushPaul like this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

More advanced palates eh? I'm gonna have to get my hands on some that! I love weird Sam Gawith blends. I smoked some Chocolate Flake last night and was astounded at how delicate and soft and pleasant the flavor was, and by flavor I'm not just talking about Gawith "essence", I'm talking about the overall taste. There are nice, well placed hints of chocolate, wrapped around what I judge to be quite a nice Virginia base. It's really good! I don't believe I detected any tonquin in there, but it could be there. This is after just one bowl, so I will need to smoke it more, but for now, I would say that it's a very tasty, not-really-aromatic tobacco. More like good tobacco with a hint of chocolate, rather than a blast of it.

6. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Ya Ming, I grabbed a tin of FVF, Firedance and 1792 as well. The 1792 has me a little worried strengthwise :whis:

I am looking forward to the FVF :puffy:

Mington likes this.
  7. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

That CF sounds like a good smoke so far. I'm at that point where the heavy aros are losing ground to more non-aromatic "aros" like what you're describing. Can't wait.

8. user2453

user2453 Member

The CF is really good. It's a delicate aromatic as described with just a small Latakia taste. I've tried some of the more flavored aros from atladis and a couple house blends. The chocolate flake is more tasty

9. Mount Mandolin

Yeah, see I don't really like aromatics at all, except for the English/British style aromatics. Some people say "soapy", I say "delicious". I don't know, I think my problem with your typical American B&M aromatic is that it's too in-your-face with the casings. I don't want tobacco that tastes like a vanilla soda, you know, but I could see how a whisper of vanilla might enhance the flavor of tobacco. Certainly not the other way around. And sure, some of the British aromatics are pretty strong, but the flavorings don't seem so artificial. For example, 1792 is a strong one, but that's tonquin, a natural product - albeit a natural product about which I know very little. Still, I think you'll like CF. It's very nice, and unless you're a serious tobacco purist and don't like to taste any hint of anything but straight tobacco, I have no doubt you'll love it. Or at least like it, that is.

10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Ive been looking at getting a chocolate toby and ill have to try this one out. Is this one hard to light up for the novice?

11. John Long

John Long Member

Chocolate Flake is in my rotation when it's available. It is tasty and unique. The tin aroma is close to seductive. I've found it smokes better after drying out a bowl's worth for a couple hours. See the post Mr Moo made on preparing and loading flakes for smoking.

12. David Emond

How is the room note?

13. David Emond

Hmmm one of the reviews for this was that it was a cheap imitation of tia maria liquor. This is the exact smell that i get from Tastemasters. If this is the case i may not try CF

14. John Long

John Long Member

I don't trust those reviews entirely. I've seen Lat bombs ragged on for being Lat bombs when they are advertised as having a high percentage of Latakia. Go figure. CF is probably one of the more controversial blends that is loved or hated. A lot depends on the persons tastes and seasoning of his palate.

15. prole

prole Member

So what pipe do I smoke this stuff in? It's a Virginia with cocao topping and Latakia? Kinda nervous about stuffing it into a va flake dedicated pipe like I had planned when I ordered it.

16. jdto

jdto Active Member

I thought Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake was the one with Latakia. I didn't know SG Chocolate Flake has it, too.

Awesome! I have a tin of this, so I might just have to do a side by side of these two chocolate flakes at some point.

prole likes this.
  17. prole

prole Member

I posted that before while in a traffic jam and must confess, I had been skimming tobaccoreviews (I know it's often a bastion of ignorance but I'm a five month in noob and still need these things for general info) while puttering along and it seemed like the reviewers mentioned hints of Lat and some argued none at all. I have a nice rotation of three pipes for the Va flakes I'm living right now (LBF, Dunhill F and FVF) and then three for the heavy Lats (Penzance, Ten Russians, Lagonda). I thought this would be a no brainer Va blend but the topping makes me wonder. I'm prolly over thinking this. Gonna stuff a flake in a cob and see for myself. I'll be back with the after action report later

18. prole

prole Member

This stuff is pretty cool. Very creamy and smooth smoke, light cocoa flavor throughout. I don't really taste the Latakia but I'm used to it being the center stage in other blends I like, I think here just a touch is added for depth.

19. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

CF is excellent stuff. I seem to be one of the very few smokers that normally prefer G&H blends over SG blends but much prefer CF to G&H's version, Bob's Chocolate Flake. The Sam Gawith version is, to me, smoother, tastier and more well-rounded. Glad you're enjoying it!

prole and Mington like this.
  20. prole

prole Member

Thanks, dmk. This stuff is really growing on me. I don't even eat actual chocolate much but the cocoa dusting is very smooth and well done. Hard to wrap my head around the idea of tobacco smoking like chocolate milk (but never veering away from real tobacco taste), but now that I've had it I do 'get it'.

I've also been semi let down by the few other SG blends I've tried. FVF is nice, but I'll take GAF or LBF over it. SL was okay, but I think I prefer a few of the Dunhill blends like Nightcap or EMP in it's place. You're having me look pretty hard at these G&H products online. Any recommendations on what to try first by them? Very into Va flakes right now and heavy lat blends, but I'm open to anything.

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.