SG Chocolate Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NBPipe, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prole

prole Member

Still enjoying this but man, having a bastard of a time keeping it lit. Fold n stuff was disastrous, actually had to pull the entire plug out and rub it out (that was gross, btw, rubbing out half burnt tobacco) and then it behaved in a corncob. Now I have a fresh bowl going in briar rubbed out fully and it's still tought to stay lit. Each time I gave an hour plus of drying time on a paper towel. May have to take a hair dryer to this stuff before the next bowl :cfsd:

2. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

SG flakes, for me, are almost all too dense to fold. I usually rub all flakes out anyways, but SG's in particular are usually very grainy and sticky and.. yeah.. rub them out and dry well. or just relight from time to time. One trick i use is to leave a little from every bowl out to go completely dry, then use that as "tinder" for the next bowl. it'll crush up into fine little pieces and ensure a good even light if you cover the top of the more moist tobacco with it.

3. prole

prole Member

Ah, cool tip. I usually throw the 'dottle' or whatever out because of the steamy lakeland juice but using it like that makes a ton of sense. Gonna try this with my current bowl, thanks

4. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I didn't mean from the bottom of the bowl. Was thinking some of the fresh tobacco you'd use to fill up. im sure the stuff from the bottom works too, but might make things taste quite different. ;)

5. prole

prole Member

Ahh, right. Well if none of this works I'm throwing it in the oven for a few hours.

To be honest, as moist as it was I think I might've been overpacking it even rubbed out. :confused:

6. jdto

jdto Active Member

I just finished my first bowl of this and it was good, but I think I prefer the GH, based on first impressions. This one was almost too sweet and fruity, whereas I found a more dark chocolate flavour in the GH. I dried the flake for an hour, then it rubbed out very fine and smoked well. Definitely good, so I am not writing it off after one smoke! I'll do a comparison smoke with the GH later today.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Like every blend from SG I've tried , it's a drag to have to dry out and whatnot . If you like Latakia w/ something sweet , you will like it . If youre like me , you wont . Sweet and Latakia ... :doh: ugh

8. jdto

jdto Active Member

Reporting back: the SG was pretty good, but the sweetness was a bit cloying and the chocolate wasn't as prevalent. It also did weird things to my mouth with the parching. The GH wins this showdown for me. I'll still smoke the SG, but I'm buying a pound of the GH :D

9. buistd

buistd Active Member

I tried this for the first time just before Christmas. I wasn't too impressed so left it for a while. When I came back to it a couple of months later I made sure to dry it out really well and I got a much improved smoke but still wasn't quite there. I removed all the flakes from the tin and left them on the radiator for 10 minutes each side. I then rubbed them out fairly fully and popped them back in the tin. The next smoke was better but still not quite there so next time I took one bowl's worth and popped it in the oven for 3-4 minutes at around 120 fahrenheit. After that the remaining unrubbed bits fell apart more easily but the tobacco was not dry. That was the key for me. It turned the tobacco from average to great. I then tried the same with some FVF which had not inspired me massively and it too transformed it. Sadly the same could not be said for 1792 which is my arch enemy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.