SG FVF or Hamborger Veermeister

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by slr, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slr

slr Member

I know both are awesome tobaccos, but if you could only choose one, which would you choose. SG FVF or Hamborger Veermeister both in bulk packaging?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've never had HV, so my experience is limited to FVF. With that in mind...HV for sure!

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

FVF is hard to come by, and I've never tried it. HV can be bought by the pound or by the tin and seems to be easier to find. I'd like to try to FVF, but I will say I love HV.

4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I have never tried either, they have never been available when I was ready to buy. But, I will choose HV for the name alone.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

They're about the same price bulk-wise and both at times are "out of stock". Right now, HV is available as FVF is not. FVF is rater 4 star and HV is at 3. I'd say get what's available now that you're jonesin to get something ( I assume you ~e ;) ) and when FVF comes ashhore again.........get some of that too! :)

I've smoked both and like them both enough to get 'em both. Smokin' HV now and here's my take and this sequence is about usual with a meer, a cob, and briar:

Starts off a touch grassy, sweet wet hay-like at first light but then moves onto a rich smooth sweet of a good va. Tartness comes in but a very mild tart/tang. Not overly tart by any means......then it hits! The rich thick espresso-like flavors come out and continue until the combined sweet and tart both show up for a return but both together and mildly so signaling the fun is nearing an end in fine gray ash. A real fine toby that "Hamster Beastmaster" is and I'll go so far to say that it's a poorer man's Dunhill Flake!

FVF does indeed have a true "one up" over the Mighty Hamstah and that' the caramelly buttery sweetness of FVF.

Both excellent va's actually all 3! FVF, HV, and Flake

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

P.S. I know I didn't help and probably fan'd the TAD Flames..........just sharin' my exp pts. :)

6. slr

slr Member

All comments help. :cheers:

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

FVF. You can stove FVF if you want to darken it but you can't un-stove Hamborger Veermaster.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ya can't "cook" the Hamstah? I hear it tastes like chicken anyway, :dunno:

Just finished a bowl of FVF and the Hamstah wins out.....again! Ymmv of course but I was wishing the bowl was filled with HV rather than FVF........so that's enough for me!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I've got both...constantly reach for the HV....hands down, the best.

10. yinyang

Yeah, but what does HV taste like? (Nice review, Ed!)

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Again, he is at a loss for words.... :roflmao:

(Perfect description)

12. aircoder

aircoder Member

Im a fan of FVF, that being said i'm going to have to try HV, I'll let you know my thoughts once I do..

13. slr

slr Member

Thanks again for all the replies, looks like HV will be next on the "order list"

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Neither, McClelland's 5100 is superior to both and is readily available. ;)

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of posts from members saying they like 5100. Is it a similar style tobacco to HV and FVF or is it ketchupy like Blackwoods Flake? I wanted to try it, but BWF kind of scared me off a little.

16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

PM me and I'll send you some to try. Just smells like Virginia to me, but it may be that I'm too accustomed to the McClelland Vinegar Virginia aroma.

17. yinyang

Not trying to step on Andy's generosity, but 5100 is ketchupy. More than BF, as I recall. It isn't like FVF and I doubt HV. Well, it's VA, but I mean it's more 'simple' in it's construction...If you like them(FVF and HV), AND you know BF is not to your tastes, I'd hazard that 5100 would be much the same. That said, surprises happen all the time with us piper's and unknown/suspect blends. The only way to know is to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.