SG Navy Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Raffxr7, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I gave this a go in my great dane spool, and picked up mostly on latakia in it. I feel like I've screwed up somewhere, I rolled and stuffed and did not air it out. I had more gurgles than normal (stem was a vulcanite replacement that was not as open as a standard bit) so I have a few questions. Does this blend require more dry time? Is the narrow and tall bowl of a spool the wrong shape to pick up on the other flavors? Is a cube cut a better way to smoke this? How tight should I pack it to get more/other flavor? Should I smoke this in a lat-dedicated pipe, or is it better suited to another blend category? How do you enjoy this blend? Briar, Cob, Clay, Meer?

2. muddler

muddler Member

I really enjoy SGNF. I dry it out really thoroughly - as in almost brittle. Then I rub it out well. A size 3 or 4 billiard works well for me. I smoke it in a Lat pipe.

jdto and Mington like this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

Agree with muddler abt drying this out. Works with all SG flakes really. Tastes even better with some age.

JRobert and Mington like this.
  4. jeff394

jeff394 Member

Most SG flakes come rather wet, whether you buy tin or bulk. My last tin of SG Firedance Flake was positively dripping.

Mington likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I smoked some last night. I dried it out for three hours...it could have used a few more. I too get mostly Latakia from it, which was a bit of a disappointment...

6. krusty

krusty Active Member

Well, it is a Lat forward flake after all. The naming of it as a "Navy" is certainly misleading though.
    Works well for me partially rubbed out to a broken flake and left somewhat moist and loaded on the loose side of life.
    Oh, for me I prefer it in a briar.

7. furious

furious Junque collector

Yes, the latakia used is quite flavorful when young, but as it ages, I have found that the Va. becomes more prominent and the latakia moves decidedly to the background. It is delicious with over a year's age in an open tin.

Raffxr7 and krusty like this.
  8. krusty

krusty Active Member

Good deal there furious. The one jar I've got is on it's way to the bottom drawer for consideration in another year or so (-:

9. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Thank you fellas, I thought I was doing something wrong here! I've been trying out every navy flake I can find, and heard good things about this one. I guess I hadn't heard the good things about them AS a navy flake, but just as a blend in general.

10. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I found it needs to sit out for what seems like an eternity to dry out. Even then it's a pain in my a$$, but man the reward you get once it gets going is worth it. I'm currently sitting on a tin that has almost 2 years on it. Not sure when I'm going to open it, there are quite a few tins in the queue that I haven't tried to get to first.

11. jdto

jdto Active Member

I love it. Dry it almost crispy, rub and load in a billiard or pot and it's blissful. Sweet, buttery flavour with the smoky and slight touch of incense from the lat.

furious likes this.
  12. furious

furious Junque collector

That's it. I'm gonna go have some now!!!

13. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I really like the S. G. Navy Flake. I'm really bad at keeping things lit, so I have no opinion about how long to dry any thing as I could not keep steel wool lit with a 9 volt battery attached. Oh, and I'm bad at subtle flavors, actually. But I think the SG Navy flake is somewhat like G. L. Pease Sextant, in that it's mostly Latakia, with this sort of very subtle, wispy, hint of something else. The something else seems to be rum; but if I didn't "know" it was rum, I'm not sure that could figure that out on my own. Anyway, I like S. G. Navy flake and Sextant.

Wow, another useless and rambling post by dwaugh.

Raffxr7 and jdto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.