• This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Shank extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mecompco

I have a nice assortment of wood (some stabilized) from my knife-making interest. I'm thinking this would look nice as a shank extension. Would a straight long setup epoxy hold up or is some sort of mechanical connection to the shank neccessary? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

GlassEye

Are you adding to an already made pipe or making the entire pipe? If adding, I would put a tenon on one end and mortise for the stem on the other so the extension would be removable.

What type of knives do you make?

t-bear

You need to create a short mortise/tenon connection between the bowl and your extension..gluing flat-to-flat is not stable enough. The everyday twisting of the shank and bit will quickly break it off...voice of experience here!
For my bamboo extensions, I use stainless steel tubing to stabilize the connection...that might be another option.

mecompco

You need to create a short mortise/tenon connection between the bowl and your extension..gluing flat-to-flat is not stable enough. The everyday twisting of the shank and bit will quickly break it off...voice of experience here!
For my bamboo extensions, I use stainless steel tubing to stabilize the connection...that might be another option.
Thanks! I surmised that might be the case. This would be on a newly made pipe (which I will get to, one of these days). I suppose one would attache the extension permanently, then turn/shape the shank.

mecompco

Are you adding to an already made pipe or making the entire pipe? If adding, I would put a tenon on one end and mortise for the stem on the other so the extension would be removable.

What type of knives do you make?
Ha ha, well, I only finished one--there are pix over in the General/Hobbies/Knifemaking thread. I have a bunch of steel and wood that I acquired before by interest in that dissapated a bit. The good news is that many of the tools that I bought for knife making are also good for pipes.

mecompco

Ha ha, well, I only finished one--there are pix over in the General/Hobbies/Knifemaking thread. I have a bunch of steel and wood that I acquired before by interest in that dissapated a bit. The good news is that many of the tools that I bought for knife making are also good for pipes.
Here's the thread, if anyone's interested:

https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/knife-making.31250/

I probably put at least 40 hours into this project. I have a better (by no means great) belt grinder now, so another one would go more quickly. I've got a blade I forged (the little one in the thread is pure stock-removal) ready for final grinding--suppose I should work on it sometime, but I'm hot on pipe-making now.

Status
Not open for further replies.