Share Your Favorite Memories of PSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffinogoldswife

The Mayor's Wife
Patron
Hey Everyone, I know I've been a stranger lately, but I've stuck at FB involved with everything Catahoula. However, I could not miss coming back for the end of all that ever was. I've been scrolling through Memory Lane and thought I'd start thread where we can share some of our favorite memories of PSF and keep good vibes flowing until lights go off. I was just starting at the beginning in the Post a Picture of you Smoking a Pipe thread and sadly so many of pictures are lost to old photobucket accounts, but I found this old conversation between Yinyang and Old Ted about a four string banjo.

https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/picture-of-you-smoking-a-pipe.9493/post-148788

Wow! I miss YinYang he was a real funny guy and always a blast. That 4 string banjo is actually here at our house now and my 10 year old is well on his way to mastering that old instrument that Old Ted treasured so much. I just know he would have gotten such a kick out of that and I'm sad that OT never got the chance to see it. I will never forget either of you or the joy you spread here at PSF.

I’ve got a ton of great memories from this place and made some real life friends. @Snake coming to my wedding, all the random packages showing up at my house for no reason, all the laughs. Pretty much anything @Ol Brokedik ever said cracked me up. That picture of him in the Richard Pryor shirt always made me smile. I’ve got too many to list I guess.

It’s been a hell of a lot of fun, everybody.

MikeInMaine

Passes for human
Patron
I’ve got a lot of great memories here.
Speaking of banjos, the great banjo trade of 2012 is way up there on my list, the poetry contests, the Where is Goat thread is for sure the most absurd and fun thread I’ve seen here. The secret Santa threads..
The massive package that @snowman sent me for no reason when I first joined.. I was thinking “why would someone send a total stranger a pound and a half of tobacco?”
The generosity and friendliness of the people here inspired me to stay.
And I’ve been paying it forward whenever I can.

Waino

Patron
I joined Apr 12, 2011. At first me and my neighbor were smoking pipes in the Polar Circle and I searched some knowledge from PSF. Once I asked what is Penzance (not available here). So @jpberg showed his generosity and send me some samples. I guess my friend Kari Johansson is still smoking his share somewhere in north because we got Penzance but also some kind of barrels, Westminster and other stuff.

Then I wanted to help young student and send some pipe tobacco to him. Poor @nesta send me Missouri Meerschaum because I said in one conversation that I have never smoked cob. I was ashamed because he studied at the university and I was already a lazy officer with decent salary. And he was mailing Missouri Meerschaum over the Ocean.

With @dwaugh I talked about old knives or something and @mongo gave good advices when I had back pains. With departed Mr. Moo I had somethin in common because he had some part time business here and knew some recipes how to make traditional Finnish food.

These were the reasons I stayed. Then I heard about @Sasquatch . Of course I have seen all kind of blackfoots and Loch Ness monsters many times, more than one of them, but this one was a pipe maker. He made my best pipe so far and it´s so big that if I scream, the echo answers from the bowl - but not until next day.

ruffinogoldswife

The Mayor's Wife
Patron
Oh, the pipes that I was Blessed with. TXHealer, God rest his soul as well, sent me some of my favorites to this day. One is this gorgeous old Linkmans Saucer shaped pipe with the most graceful skinny stem. I have a Basil Meadows Churchwarden, and a horn, not to mention the bullet cob of awesomeness. Of course, I will treasure the little Meer Old Ted gave me many years ago, though I think some were teasing him because it looked so feminine. For a while there, I think most of the feminine pipes people saw either ended up in my hands or the links were sent my way. I never had to worry about having a pipe that looked too many for my face. I even had a T-Bear Axe for a while, but it was too big for me and so it went to the hands of my step-son Nick where I knew it would appreciated for many years to come. I had a few Rock Cobs as well, including a very rare white rock cob Chuchwarden, but my lupus hands break things too easily, so that one as well was passed to my stepson Nick and he went nuts over it. I'll tell you, some amazing pipes have passed through these doors. Y'all remember Old Ted's estate pipe sale? Amazing and really special pipes.

ruffinogold

Mayor
ACK!! @Waino You just reminded of an amazing thread. The time when Dwaugh decided to make his own clay pipes!! Wow! That was incredible and I still have the results sitting right here. The top one was my sampler pipe for the big Sutliff Review that Ruff and never quite finished because I got really sick.

View attachment 14191 [/QUOTE

Man , I remember that too ! @dwaugh really kicked ass on that one .... what a thread ! I also remember you and I doing that Sutliff taste thread . That was back before your sickness really kicked in ... we got maybe halfway through and couldnt continue it . Rmember how bad Sopinnaker was .. holy :poop: , we didnt have taste buds for a few day .. lol .
Yes , though it didnt conclude as we would have liked , I'd say that was my favorite thread ever ... how many guys here can say they made a killer thread with their wife !!

Ying Yang was awesome and the first main draw I had here ... he was real witty and had a true talent for wit and humor !

Old Ted , anything he said was excellent !

Ive got many memories and 99 % of them are damn good !

Wickerman used to always crack me up, he was like the eccentric smoker with all his daily pics of weird stuff and contraptions. Blame him for the SLF trend. There are so many people I had forgotten about in that thread. Good times!
Wickrman has an excellent blog that I visit .... http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/ ... he's was probably the most interesting person Ive encountered . I think he is terminally ill but I'm not sure and dont want to ask . Its something he eluded to in a post at his blog . But he posts there and is chugging along perfectly normal , so Im not sure and dont want to bring it up

FlySwatter

Lots of fun conversations and so much learning that could have never taken place without somewhere like this forum to guide me. It was like having a few hundred Grandpa's passing on needed knowledge. Some of you a bit more cantankerous than the rest... ;):old:.

Only 2 years? It feels like a lifetime since I floundered around with my first cob; scorching my toungue, fretting over char lights & tamping. In fact one of my first two cobs will get the majority of the smoking duty tonight. Trust me, it looks like it's rode around the country for the last two years but smokes like a dream.

I haven't been very active lately, but I still think about this place & it's crowd with every pipe. It's unavoidable.

jwh891

I ave many good memories here. But by far the best was the outpouring of support I received when my mother passed away last year.

Many memembers went out of their way to send condolences and several even sent care packages that did a lot to keep my spirits afloat when I didn’t have much reason to.

I’ll never forget that kindness. And I hope to pass it forward someday

I joined Apr 12, 2011. At first me and my neighbor were smoking pipes in the Polar Circle and I searched some knowledge from PSF. Once I asked what is Penzance (not available here). So @jpberg showed his generosity and send me some samples. I guess my friend Kari Johansson is still smoking his share somewhere in north because we got Penzance but also some kind of barrels, Westminster and other stuff.

Then I wanted to help young student and send some pipe tobacco to him. Poor @nesta send me Missouri Meerschaum because I said in one conversation that I have never smoked cob. I was ashamed because he studied at the university and I was already a lazy officer with decent salary. And he was mailing Missouri Meerschaum over the Ocean.

With @dwaugh I talked about old knives or something and @mongo gave good advices when I had back pains. With departed Mr. Moo I had somethin in common because he had some part time business here and knew some recipes how to make traditional Finnish food.

These were the reasons I stayed. Then I heard about @Sasquatch . Of course I have seen all kind of blackfoots and Loch Ness monsters many times, more than one of them, but this one was a pipe maker. He made my best pipe so far and it´s so big that if I scream, the echo answers from the bowl - but not until next day.
Today in the mail I received Penzance from @wildcrow .. I'm getting ready to smoke it in about five minutes from now ..

Status
Not open for further replies.