Share Your Zippo

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by akohtz, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akohtz

akohtz Member

I read through the popular Let's Talk Lighters! thread. Zippo clearly has a strong following. I thought we should have a thread where you could share pictures and stories of your favorite and trusty Zippo.

---

Mine is a 60th Anniversary Zippo I received on my 17th birthday. A few of my closest friends pooled their money and purchased this beauty for me. Although it came in a fancy commemorative tin, I couldn't bring myself to leave it on the shelf collecting dust. Instead I broke it out and used it as my everyday light.

Over the last 17 years it's been both displayed and used pretty well. It's put flame to everything from cigarettes to cigars, campfires to stoves, candles to rope ends, pilot lights to fireworks, and even more in between. As time went by I dropped in more flits, replaced a wick or three, and once even had to retire it's old and yellowing packing cotton. All the maintenance paid off and it kept producing flame without a hitch.

Last month though, I decided it was time for the Zippo company to live up to their warranty promises. Even though it still worked fine, the hinge was so loose it swayed back and forth like hippies around a campfire. The multiple thousands of times the lid swung open and closed again had finally taken a measurable toll. Besides, I'd made the switch to pipe smoking and I wanted a new pipe insert anyway.

After wrapping it carefully, I sealed it in a padded envelope and trusted it to the post office. I actually found this form of parting to be difficult. You see, you don't keep the same Zippo for 17 years without a few basic rules to counteract the stupidity of others as well as yourself.

• Rule #1) Never put the Zippo down somewhere unattended.
    • Rule #2) Never hand the Zippo to somebody else.
    Number two was enacted to prevent klepto companions from pocketing it. If somebody asked for a light, I took out my Zippo, lit it, and never relinquished the lighter into their sticky fingers.

The whole time the lighter was away for repair I felt twinges in my gut thanks to rule number two. However, I swallowed the feelings of dread and two weeks later my newly repaired Zippo was returned to me. The hinge was like new again and the shiny pipe insert begged me to blacken it with usage. So, I did.

When I see this lovely lighter I remember the gift my pals gave me. With the exception of one friend who left this world too early, I am still close to everyone who pitched in for that memorable birthday. Every bump, bruise, nick, and scratch the last 17 years has brought to both the lighter and it's owner have only enhanced the character of both.

So tell me ... what's your Zippo story?

- Andrew

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/uploads/1286118416/gallery_5811_54_18452.jpg

inkybat, Brad Cogar and Dunlibi like this.

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Well, my story is just beginning... but yours rocked.

3. Rider

Rider Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

heres my collection as of now. the plain one in the 3rd pic thats all scratched up was my first one i got when i was around 12. i just thought lighters were cool, i didnt smoke. i still remember making my mother take me everywhere and anywhere looking for fluid for it. the last place we went to still didnt have any but a guy shopping in the gas station store offered to help and went to his truck and grabbed a thing of reguler lighter fluid that he used for his and filled it up for me right then and there, and told me how much he liked it. he was a cool guy.

why that memories so clear to me i dont know, but thats my story B)

Slow Tri and prole like this.
  4. Rider

Rider Member

another one i just thought of is that 50's commerative ligter........

my friend got it for my birthday and when she visited me (shes in NY) she hid it in my closet in a BDU jacket. a couple of months later on my birthday she called me and told me she hid it in my room somwhere and i had to find it :xd:

all the zippos i have were gifts

5. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I have owned dozens of Zippos and several of their kin through the years. My first was my fathers nickle-plated brass Zippo with a Marine Corps emblem that he used in Viet Nam. I swiped it from him and lost it. I still owe him for that. Camel cigarettes gave away lots of Zippos. I got at least one of each and promptly lost all of them too. The Camel "trench lighter" was fun. I obtained and promptly lost at least a dozen of those. My last Zippo was the Camel 8-Ball, a gift from a Rabbi. When I proposed to my (now ex) wife, she said I had to quit smoking to convince her I was serious. I set my pack of Camels and 8-Ball Zippo on the bar and turned my back on them. About a week ago, I purchased an old (though still new in box) Nimrod Sportsman pipe lighter. A friend had one years ago and used it constantly, so when I saw it, I knew exactly what it was and had to have it. Cost me $50. First one I actually paid money for. Perhaps I won't lose this one.

6. akohtz

akohtz Member

The relationship between objects and memories is fascinating.

One of my best friends (involved in the purchase of my initial Zippo in fact) has used one of those Camel 8-Balls for years.

- Andrew

7. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Nice lighters.... hoping ill get one in a couple of weeks would be nice

8. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I have three zippos. One a with a black tribal pattern. I took out the original mechanism and added a butane torch insert for cigars. Matches my Xikar cigar cutter. I have had it for 3 years.

I have zippo pipe lighter with the Peterson logo I got as a pipe and lighter set. Works like a charm.

My last zippo I found in the snow in front of the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh in 1990. It was dirty, locked up and in complete disrepair. On a friends recommendation I mailed it to Zippo in Dec. '90. I got it back cleaned and in working order. I used that lighter as previously mentioned for things like lighting cigars, womens' cigarettes in bars, taken icamping and hunting. I even lit the candles of the first dinners I ever made/had had with my significant other. She calls it the "brass". I actually put it in a zippo box and now only use it in the house because I am afraid to lose it.

I have had a bunch Colinbris, Vectors,and a lots of other lighters. None of them are as satisfying as firing up my zippos and hear that "clink" sound when they are closed. A zippo in the hand has a nice reassuring weight I find hard to describe.

Pics will follow....don't know how to do that yet.

Z

9. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Hi, all! New to the forum, first post. This thread just sort of jumped out at me.

I've had dozens of Zippos, nearly all of them got "lost" when used in company. Amazing how you can use them constantly forever, but the moment you let someone else use it, it just sort of vanishes. One that I kept very close tabs on was a Basic Training graduation gift from my (at the time) girlfriend. Plain silver metal with the Air Force emblem on the front, and my name engraved on the lid. That one lasted for a while even though I had to super glue the emblem back on. We eventually got married, then divorced, and when I was packing up and moving out I just couldn't bring myself to keep it. Likely it's at the bottom of a landfill somewhere now.

One that I do still have though, I'm quite proud of. It's never been filled or lit (yet) but it has the JASDF (Japanese Air Self Defense Force) logo on the front, with a big bold JASDF on the lid and some Japanese writing on it that I can't possibly understand. I did some work with them, although we did considerably more drinking and karaoke than actual work, and it's still a blur as to whether someone gave that to me or if I bought it... Either way, it's mine now and I'm not giving it up! If only it had the pipe-style stovepipe on it, I'd be set.

10. erickghint

erickghint Member

I've collected Zippos since I was around 14. I've always loved them, and the famous *clink* they make when you open them. The one I use most now is a 1941 reissue that they put out a while back. I bought it in 2008, and it's been with me every day since. I don't leave the house without it. The other ones I have have sentimental value to me. A couple from my grandfather (one of which went to Europe with him in WWII), one my sister gave me with my initials on it, and a few that I picked up that are limited editions. As soon as I find my card reader, I'll put some pics up.

11. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

I've actually only just started collecting Zippo lighters. I've owned several over the years as I start smoking cigarettes and quit over and over, but as seems to be the trend, klepto friends and carelessness while inebriated contribute to early parting of a fool and his lighter.

When I get the pictures from my iPhone (emailing now) I'll post the pics of the two that are starting my new collection.

12. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

My Zippos

13. akohtz

akohtz Member

Did your grandfather etch anything into the lighter? There were a lot of GI's that etched in the names of the places they'd fought in or been to. I'd love to see pictures of that piece of history.

- Andrew

P.S.
    Thanks to everybody who's shared their stories and pictures in this thread. I've enjoyed them all.

14. xnowimcoolx

xnowimcoolx Member

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Haven't yet worked out how to post pix these days but my tale of me and Zippos has been posted under "In search of the One True Light." I would not be without one - they are reliable, satisfying to hold in the hand...and as for that sound - still love it after all these years.

My normal Zippo is a plain old no nonsense brushed meatl one with a good few scratches and nicks on it, but my "Good going out on Saturday with my Peterson Supreme pipe" zippo is one my friend Brian, Bri2K, sent me at Christmas with a boxed set of corncobs - it's the "Scrimshaw" model and one I'll treasure,

Best to all

Gerry

16. akohtz

akohtz Member

Gerry,

Those Scrimshaws are beautiful lighters. Very very nice pieces.

I hear that when the Scrimshaws were originally introduced back in the mid 70's they initially used real ivory but they didn't sell well due to the cost. There was great interest in them, however, so they reintroduced them later in the 80's using fake ivory and a lower price tag. If you ever get a Scrimshaw zippo that dates from the 70's you've got a huge collector item.

Real or fake ivory doesn't matter to me as far as how beautiful the engraving work is on all of them.

- Andrew

17. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

Mine is the pipe model zippo, but I cant honestly remember when my wife bought it for me. Ive lost the insert that covers the top of the flame,and having just joined this forum, the info Ive gleaned from it lead me to contact zippo and see if I can get a replacement.Thanks yall

18. NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock Member

I know this topic is a few days old but I just got my first Zippo yesterday and I wanted to share it.

This weekend I was supposed to go to Ohio to meet some family before they left to go back to Seattle, Washington. However the good Lord in all of his infinite wisdom decided to keep me home by having my hot water heater breaking and flooding my basement in 5 inches of water.

I got a new water heater, installed it with my dad, grandpa, and cousin. It was fun, I learned more about pluming in that one day then in my whole life. Afterwards my cousin and cousin-in law, decided to go antique shopping and me and my grandpa tagged along.

We made it to 4 antique shops and I was looking for a Zippo and I found one:

[​IMG]

It needs a new flint and fuel but it was worth every penny.

ruffinogold likes this.
  19. Sanity082

Sanity082 Member

Mine was given to me my Nonno. He first got the zippo when he was in his early 20s and he carried it every day for 20+ years before he quit smoking. He passed it on to me. it is now 60 years old and still works great

20. Eddie

Eddie Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.