Share Your Zippo

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by akohtz, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I only have the one.

[​IMG]

2. Chriss

Chriss Member

I would stay away from butane ( personal opinion but they suck a$$) fuel all they way bro with such a nice zippo stay true !! XD

3. The Big Fil

The Big Fil Member

Po Lazarus and Johnny Dingo like this.
  4. Chriss

Chriss Member

ohh my... dude amazing collection

The Big Fil likes this.
  5. David

David Member

Mine has Hard Rock Maui engraved on it. I put a pipe lighter insert in it and is a trusty companion. Due to the fuel issue being a pain I uses it at home only usually. My best friend got it for me when him and his second wife went to Maui to be married. He still has the wife and I still have the lighter. A good trip for me...LOL

6. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Got a couple, but this one was given to me by a good friend many many moons ago, and I can't seem to leave it behind when ever I go out lol. At one time it had a brass finish, but thru the years and constant useage it seems to have worn thin. Only use Zippo or Ronsonol fluid and never get that "petrol"smell or taste.[​IMG][​IMG]

BriarRabbit and The Big Fil like this.
  7. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I picked up a nice Zippo at an antique store for $10.
    When I got it home a friend told me that they are marked as to when they were made.
    So I checked the date.... Holy Cow!!! it was made in 1968 just like I was.:eek:
    What are the odds of picking up a Zippo made the year you were born?

The Big Fil and Basil Meadows like this.
  8. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Afore my days, but.. well, I'm a Pitt boy and would go back there in a heartbeat (even if I'd remain a Yankees, Reds, Rangers and... STEELERS fan). Smoked plenty of cigarettes outside the Cathedral, and with my philosophy professor who back then smoked a very special virginia handrolled blend... I forget the name, but it's long gone now. Who knows--might've been his zippo!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Very Nice !!

The Big Fil likes this.
  10. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

I saw this one, and almost bought it. I think its one of the best zippo cases for a pipe smoker I have ever seen.

IrishRover and The Big Fil like this.
  11. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Heh... once upon a time, a boyfriend got me that zippo (or something very close to it) as a present. Wish I still had it.

On a general zippo note: The problem with zippos, I find, is that if you're not a cigarette smoker and using them all the damn time, they dry out very quickly. I went for mine tonight and found it dead. Is there anything to be done for this, or is it just the nature of the beast?

12. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

Mine was a trade actually. I lived with a buddy of mine, who helped me through some pretty deep ****, who also collected Zippos. I was coming out of a show when I saw a US Marines Zippo on the ground. Well, my roomie was a Marine, and collected Zippos, so this was kind of a no brainer. So back home. Showed him the light, tell it's his, and he goes back into his room. Comes out with your standard polished zippo and hands me that. One of his war buddies gave him that one in Iraq Episode I. And that's my zippo.

13. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

Wow! That is quite the collection! Given that, I guess you are the guy to ask the following: are the brass zippos real brass, or brass plated something-or-other? I bought one just over ten years ago, and the finish off that wore down in just a couple of months. Perhaps I inadvertently a cheap rip-off instead of the real McCoy?

14. The Big Fil

The Big Fil Member

Hey SalopSt, 90% of them are solid brass infact if you get them in the right light it should have "Solid Brass" etxhed into the front facing side of the lid. If not it may be a particular edition that isnt. If it is brass and its old you should see evidence of oxidisation inside tge lid or base (slightly green tint). Post a pic of the hinge and bass and i should be able to confirm.

Phil

15. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

I have no idea which country I left it in, so pics are a no go. I was just asking to get an expert's opinion before I drop the $$ equivalent of what would amount for me a couple dozen Bic lighters [recoils from wrath of the cognoscenti].... lighters that I have always found reliable and long lasting.

I am definitely in the market for a Zippo after reading the praise for them from this thread, however.

The Big Fil likes this.
  16. Elmo

Elmo Member

Mine is one presented to me when I left the 42AMMS (42nd airborne missile maintainance squadron) Loring AFB in Maine. It is a polished chrome with my initials on the top and Loring AFB on one side and 42 AMMS and Nov 69-Dec 71 on the other. My youngest daughter "borrowed" it once and some skank swapped out the insides for something out a Zippo copy unknown to her. She replaced the innards and later on I bought a Zippo pipe model and swapped the innards agin. I just used it to light my Peterson Mark Twain.
    Elmo

17. akohtz

akohtz Member

And a year and a half later it's still my everyday lighter ...

- Andrew

Albert likes this.
  18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I ordered a customized Zippo a couple of weeks ago. It came in a few days ago, and I have to say, it is the coolest looking lighter I've ever seen. I may be a little biased, though.. seeing as how my wife in her pirate wench dress adorns it. :bing:

It came in a cool little box
    [​IMG]

It has my initials
    [​IMG]

19. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

no picture, as my zippos are at home and I'm not. I have 3 that I currently use. Recently purchased a Jack Daniel's zippo which I plan to put a pipe insert into, I have one with an American Flag ribbon on it (purchased in 2003 in Kuwait and dragged through the invasion and subsequent year in Iraq), and one that have all sorts of scratches marks and an Anarchy sign scratched into it (this is my favorite and was purchased in 1997 during my first AIT).

20. rigormootis

rigormootis Member

I've got 2 like this and 1 is a plain polished brass one. I bought the two USMC ones ~ '95 and the plain brass one to get a pipe insert.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.