1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Shell pipe from Tambo group buy

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jussto, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I am really enjoying the shell pipe I ordered with the Tambolaka. It is definitely something different, but seems really well made. I especially like the horn bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

WOW! That is a sweet pipe!

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I was hoping someone would follow up on the shell pipe. Seems to smoke okay? Are you worried about being able to clean it?

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Nice piece, but for ME, kinda creepy...

Capt likes this.
  5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It does have a little bit of a "now sacrifice the hamster with the ceremonial shell pipe to complete the satanic ritual" sort of vibe, doesn't it? ;)

prole, Albert, dwaugh and 2 others like this.
  6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Unusual in a cool way. My big question is how it smokes...
    You "will" give us a progress report, right? LOL

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Can you hear the ocean? :ohyh:

cobbsmoker, IrishRover, Capt and 3 others like this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I honestly dont know how you guys like that stuff ... whatever floats yer boat .. or smokes in yer shell . :)

9. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

That's different! Me like.

10. jdto

jdto Active Member

More Photos, please :D

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Somebody better tell Kerr there's another thing from the ocean that he can put his tobacco in.

Kiowapipe, dwaugh and Albert like this.
  12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Smoking characteristics of the shell pipe:

First off I've only run a few bowls of Tambo through it yet, but I will try it with some other tobacco this evening. There is definitely a learning curve to packing it that I've not quite nailed yet, almost like the first of Dwaugh's clay before the modification to reduce the draft hole at the bottom of the bowl. Add to that the fact that Tambo is a little tricky to light and it makes for a few relights.

The chamber for the shell spiraling in does let some leaf get almost above the burning tobacco, so I've not managed to get down to a fine ash yet either, but I think sort of a cannonball pack may help that out a lot.

Now there is definitely a sort of calabash quality to having the smoke travel through so much open space before it reaches the stem, this morning in the middle of a bowl of Tambo when everything was going smoothly, I got an unmistakeable caramel sweetness that was really nice, so the pipe does a great job of releasing the subtle flavors of the leaf without contaminating it.

For cleaning I just tapped the shell on my palm until any unburned leaf came out and blew through the stem.

It also doesn't insulate heat very much so it requires a little creative hand positioning to hold the bowl while it is lit.

This is not going to replace my everyday pipes, but it is one that I'll go to more than I had imagined I would, probably mostly at home. The horn stem is not only beautiful, but feels great on the teeth. I hope it will hold up over time and use.

I'll give another update after it sees a few more bowls.

14. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

How much was that pipe again, if I may ask?

15. kb7get

kb7get Member

Two questions? 1- can you hear the roaring ember when you hold it up to your ear? 2- does it give a warning sound when you blow through the stem?

Klauswermann likes this.
  16. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hmmm?? Maybe if there's another group buy, I'll get the pipe along with more tobacco ..

17. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

The TNT Shoppe (online storefront of who Bandlwalmer did the group buy with) has pipes listed at $45 for brass and $70 for sterling, then there's shipping from Indonesia. I seem to remember mine being 80 some bucks shipped with the group buy.

18. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Awesome looking pipe and for 70$ for sterling silver, its a steal, so pretty I'm not sure I could smoke it.

19. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Thanks! I don't own pipes I won't smoke, I'm a hobbyist and a smoker, not an investor!

Old Codger likes this.
  20. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I'm definitely a smoker first, but also a collector of curious items of all kind, including pipes. For example, I bought a weird pipe in the shape of a dutch wooden shoe, at an antique shop, not to smoke, but to admire and display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.