Shorties

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Spillproof, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Sometimes you have the time, attitude, attention-span, and weather to enjoy that 2+ hour cigar.

But mostly, I don't smoke those.
    With friends sure, but not on a regular basis.

So, aside from the obvious Short-Story and Best-Seller, what are some absolutely awesome "shorties" you keep around?

Yes, I am aware of the smaller '64's and QdO's Marker, so hush.

*not interested in cigarillo's

2. thedismaltrade

thedismaltrade Member

MUWAT Baitfish
    Tat PCR!
    7-20-4 dog walker
    Oliva V #4
    La Palina Kill Bill
    Illusione Rothchild

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't know what your tastes are like...there are a few good small coronas I've had when abroad which for one reason or another I simply can't get in American shops....but, my guess is you're looking for an everyday type smoke...something small but good, but my guess would be budget is at least a small factor....for that reason I'd say you won't get much more bang for your buck than Hoyo de Monterrey Sabrosos. 5x40 petite coronas...and not bad at all. Joya de Nicaragua Machitos are also fantastic small cigars...probably a bit better. I had an Alec Bradley Tempus in the Genesis size, and really enjoyed it, too. Great smoke...but you'll pay a lot more for it than the Hoyo. Still, in every regard it is better....though I still love the Hoyos.

The problem I find is even with smaller cigars, most of the time higher quality cigars burn a lot slower for me. Partly due to how I smoke them, I'm sure, but not entirely at all. Small coronas that I look at and think "that will be a good 30 minute smoke," in many cases turn out to be more like 45-60 minute smokes.

4. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial (EE) Petite Corona - gave Russ one in the blind review and he was flipping out thinking it was a CC

Padron Corticos - like a little chocolate bar; very sweet chocolatey maduro type of thing, but very very good if you're in the mood; they're short filler and they come in tins of 5, and it's Padron so you know exactly what you're getting in terms of quality

Baitfish - I will second this, BUT on the condition that they really need to rest for a solid 4 months before they're any good; just my opinion, of course

Ashton VSG "Tres Mystique" - 4.3" x 44, and just a fantastic little cigar, as you would expect from a VSG

Headley Grange Eminentes (Corona) - 5.2" x 44, out of control good, like everything HG

and finally, the little guy: Punch London Club, in the EMS/Natural wrapper. Swear to god, I really do like them. And they're like $40 a box or something. You just need to give them a few months or more, and they settle into being pretty much the perfect cigar for smoking while doing things like lawn mowing, trimming the weeds, walking the dog. You know, anything where you can't fully "devote yourself" to the cigar. They're good cigars, but not great, but they serve their purpose extraordinarily well and I bet they will surprise you.

Anyway, those are a few of my suggestions.

WalkinStick and Spillproof like this.
  5. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Spillproof likes this.
  6. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

o god the serie V #4 is just great for a NC snack smoke! if you find them at ~$5 (or even under) BUY THEM! sucks that they were a limited run. FWIW if CT shade does it for you, their connecticut reserve line has a #4, which is damn nice. others not yet listed:

reinado habanito
    fuente magnumR 44 (yum!)
    asylum 44x4
    manOwar puro authentico (shark for deals on this one)
    and like most any CC petit vitola, most notably the RASCC, boli PC, RG perlas being the first to pop into my head.

also woth mentioning, don't undersell the smaller ones. if paced right, you can still get an hour out of any of those easily.

thedismaltrade and Spillproof like this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

London Clubs are good, but Sabrosos are great, in my opinion. Everything I want in a cigar like 80% of the time. The rest of the time I want something "better" but if I never had access to any cigar but that, I'd still love cigars. Still, the Punch London Clubs are good.

Incidentally, if you're interested in the Punch London Club or the Elite (a larger corona, also very good and well priced) then CI offers Punch Maduro seconds - including London Club and Elite, along with Champion and Rothschilde. They are very reasonably priced, and smoke just fine, they just don't have boxes or bands. I ordered a bundle of Elites, wouldn't hesitate to do it again. They ARE the Punch flagship line, in a maduro wrapper.

Less certain what you'll get, but I also tried my luck with A.J. Fernandez overruns from CI (twice) and each time I was handsomely rewarded - and super reasonably priced. Lonsdales once, and got Man o War Virtue, then Corona and god Puro Authentico. Both are good sticks...but you don't know what brand you'll get with that one.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Basically what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm a Hoyo / Punch fan big time ! I'd add that the Punch Chateau M is a bad ass cigar sized at 5 3/4 x 46 . I dont think thats a shortie but it's a mans smoke and fantastic . The Punch and Hoyo Rothchilde and Robusto are amazing and I sold more of those than any cigar ! I used to really enjoy the Canaria d' Oro robusto but I don't think they're made any more .

I enjoy the flavor of the La Finca , a Nicaragua puro . The robusto is nice and at 41 bucks a a bundle !
    http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=LFROB/LA-FINCA-ROBUSTO-BUNDLE.html

I also liked the La Aurora # 4 , which is a smallish corona , for something quicker with flavor

Spillproof likes this.
  9. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

DE Papas Fritas

Moose and javajunkie like this.
  10. Michaell

Michaell Member

Romeo y Julieta Love Story
    1875 or Reserve Real

11. DocB

DocB Active Member

Tat Havana VI Angeles
    Illusione 68
    MUWAT Baitfish
    MOW Puro Authentico
    Tat PCR

Sooo... Yeah, basically what Russ said. We smoke the same SH**!! Also love the Dog Walkers. Great sticks.

Spillproof likes this.
  12. Spillproof

Great suggestions everyone - thanks.

@DocB MoW PA's are awesome.
    Haven't had those Tat's or that Illusione but will give them a shot.

And thanks for the multiple Punch reminder(s). I've always liked them and should have some in my humidor at all times.

13. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

papas fritas
    baitfish
    herrera esteli
    EPC
    Triunfador
    Riqueza 4

Spillproof likes this.
  14. Spillproof

Alright I have been looking for deals on some of these recomendations. Cbid pickups this evening, thanks to you rotten SOB's:

Illusione 68 'Bombone' 5-pack
    Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles 5-pack
    Tatuaje Miami Petit Tat Reserve 5-pack

I'll let you know how they go.
    Thanks again

Mount Mandolin and gentimmy like this.
  15. jhelms

jhelms Active Member

I see everyone with their cigar selections but just prefer to stick to my pipe 99,9% of the time. I think it may have something to do with an older friend once telling me I looked like the south endd of a north bound dog with that stogie stuck in my mouth. That was a game changer.;)

AlexanderM and buistd like this.
  16. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what do shorties smoke like? Are they hotter burning? Different flavor profiles? I never understood the attraction to a nub of a cigar (typically because the nubs I see for sale, cost more than an hour long stogie I typically get. But I smoke cheap ones.) I am looking forward to understanding this bit. :)

17. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

They smoke just like regular cigars, only shorter.

No really, it's true. If you're talking about nubs like the brand "NUB" then yeah those are a ripoff. Spill is talking about "small format" cigars, like petit coronas and other small sizes. The advantages are 1) they're cheaper, 2) they don't burn as long, which is good when it's cold outside, and 3) they have a different flavor profile. Every change you make to a cigar, including its size, affects the flavor profile. As for cost, you must be looking at the wrong cigars if they cost more than regular sizes. I don't often pay more than $4.25-ish (at the high end) for cigars. The two archetypal examples in my book, if you want a size reference, are the Partagas Shorts and the Bolivar Petite Corona. The latter is slightly longer at 5 inches, both have a 42 ring gauge.

And if you don't like the way you look with a cigar sticking out of your mouth, that's good. Because it looks ridiculous. That's why we hold them in our hands.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
    Raffxr7 and Spillproof like this.
  18. Spillproof

@Raffxr7
    I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but I can tell you about my taste and experience with petit corona types.

I've smoked a few "Nub" (brand name) cigars and they're good... But I'm not buying the whole "since the end is the best, just smoke the end" marketing ploy there.

I like smaller cigars that smoke and are constructed like larger cigars. I don't find well-made smaller cigars to smoke hotter or taste substantially different than their larger siblings. Like, an Oliva V #4 pretty much tastes like an Oliva V. And a Fuente Short-Story tastes like a Hemingway Classic. And a Bolivar Petit Corona definitely tastes like a Bolivar. Variations on the same theme.

When done right, they are pretty much the same cigar in a different sized package. Sometimes, maybe even better. Those are the ones I'm looking for. Awesome, somewhat short smokes. And they don't have to be fancy or expensive. The ones I just bought averaged around $4 each on Cbid, and they're no dog- rockets ;-)

Mount Mandolin and Raffxr7 like this.
  19. Spillproof

Dang, Mandolin actually wrote something faster than me...

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I think a smaller cigar can taste different than the same blend in a larger size, personally, for a wide assortment of reasons...but the biggest issue, based on what I call "wild a** guessing" is that the filler to wrapper ratio is lower. If the most exciting part of the flavor comes from the wrapper, then it stands to reason that smaller cigars may sometimes actually taste a little richer, more robust in smaller sizes. Just a WAG here, though.

Mount Mandolin and Raffxr7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.