Should I open it?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KN092011, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I picked up a 100g tin of Frog Morton on the Town a few weeks ago from my local B&M, as my 50g tin was about to run out. I looked on the bottom of the tin and noticed a very confusing sequence of numbers (461609) and through a little research concluded that this particular tin is approximattely 4 years old (2009-2013). Now I know nothing about aging, cellaring etc, nor do I know of this blend gets any better with age so I'm wondering, since its already 4 yrs old I should let it go a little longer or just open it and smoke it. Can someone with some knowledge on aging/cellaring help me out here?

I'll be making another trip to the B&M in a week or so and have some other stuff that will hold me over until then (smoking my last bowl of the first tin as we speak) if I so choose not to open it yet...

YAPPG and Old Codger like this.

2. Tate

Tate Member

I say open it. Excellent opportunity to see if aging is worth it.

YAPPG likes this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Open it, It might be a whole new taste sensation with the aging, it is probably mentioned someplace on here..
    Probably jar what you don't want to smoke later, it can age some more but not at the same rate rejarred.

YAPPG likes this.
  4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Id open it, and share what I learned. If it ages well, I may be putting away some frog cellar (my favorite frog blend)

YAPPG likes this.
  5. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I got some Frogs from 03 and 05 from Pipestud and have compared them with fresh tins. Very little difference in the Original Frog. Frog on the town was better with the age. I say open it and smoke it up!

YAPPG likes this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Use it for a hockey puck until you puncture it!

I think OTT has the best shot of showing the benefits of aging over all the other Frogs. I might put it aside and buy fresher tins to smoke. But if I were going to test its aging, I'd put it away for at least another 5 years. So if you can't wait that long, crack it now and smoke it and enjoy!

YAPPG and dwaugh like this.
  7. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

:laff:

It's very likely there are more still more "pre-aged" tins at the store, so you might just be able open one tin now, and let one age further.

Raffxr7 and YAPPG like this.
  8. KN092011

KN092011 Member

After about 30 secs of staring at the tin, I opened it. I put 2oz in a mason jar to be out away for later and out the rest in the now empty 50g tin to smoke. The first thing I noticed was that the usual BBQ sauce aroma (I've read some call it ketchup but it smells more like BBQ sauce to me, but maybe that's just the Texan in me) was significantly subdued. I haven't smoke any yet, I will do that later this afternoon, so I'm interested to see how different it is.

Thuber88 likes this.
  9. KN092011

KN092011 Member

So it's been a few weeks, I've smoked about 1/2 the original 100g tin and thought I'd report back. First and foremost, I didn't notice any difference in flavor. However, I must stress that I'm also still quite inexperienced so I'm not sure that I would notice a difference anyways. That being said, the first couple of bowls were less than impressive. The tobacco was a lot drier than I normally like it, although I recently learned I like EMP a little drier. I added a few hydration discs to it and brought some moisture back and the rest of that half was as delicious as ever. I just opened the second half back up, same thing; needs more moisture. Added a couple discs and letting sit a couple of days.

I'm sending some MB Mixture off tomorrow in exchange for some FMATP and venturing out to my B&M again tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have some Cellar and then I'll be happy, at least until my stock runs out!

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I am a relative newbie to actual flavors and I will admit FMOTT did nothing for me either, as well as the person I got it from.
    Cellar seems to be far and away the most popular FM tobacco, and some other right behind.
    Just FMOTT didn't do it for me, but like you my tastes are far from the others in all this up to now
    As in all things on PSF, your mileage may vary.;)

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I like FMOTT very much! It is however the only blend in the Frog series I've tried so far. Ive got a tin of FMC I purchased a few months back I should open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.