Sillem's Black

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Based on the reviews of PSF and Tobacco Reviews, I ordered two tins of Sillem's Black back in July. My first impression was not bad, but not great. I hadn't had the urge to pick it up since; partially due to having a large selection of new tobacco on hand.

Yesterday, I had the urge to give it another shot. It just smells so good when I open up the cabinet I have my tins stored in. I took it to work w/my MM Diplomat yesterday and smoked a bowl and lunch. Wow, what a difference. I'm not sure why my experience is so different from the first time?

My first try was in August when it was 100* outside. Yesterday and today has been in the 50's. Could be? Anyway, the flavor was less sharp, very smooth and very enjoyable. The layers of flavors range from sweet to smokey. No tongue bite, easy smoke, and I really was into it. My second bowl today has me convinced to start looking for a briar pipe for Lat based tobies, since I now have two that I like very well.

I would definitely recommend Sillem's Black. :yes:

BriarRabbit likes this.

2. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

My first three bowls of this were boring. The fourth bowl was truly wonderful. It's been downhill since. I think it must be me.

3. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

It took a bowl or two for me to fall in love with this blend to. But now I'm still as happy with it as when I wrote my review here.

4. rphillips

rphillips Member

Im caught up on the temp. 50*! The hight here today way 37 and then an hour later it dropped and started snowing again. In fact yesterays breif 41 was the warmest its been in weeks by like 10 degrees.

Anyway, I have a tin of Sillems Red and I absolutely love it. Got enough for the rest of the month and then im out so ill be stocking up soon. Plan on getting some Black next friday so Im glad to be hearing all these good things.

If all easle fails Im a sucker for a cool looking tin so even if I hate it I win

5. grga

grga Member

Opposite than you guys, I liked first few bowls, I didn't like it after, I have more than a half left.
    Try Sillem's Green, great aro, smell from the tin, room note, simply great.

6. rphillips

rphillips Member

Well I got it today, finally. I wasnt awed by the first couple bowls either. let some sit for a couple hours to dry and tried again. Big difference. Still not sure about it though. A note on temp though, I smoe inside were its arround 68 farenhite. My Rendezvous blend I got from Crazy Crow Trading Post (I think its a Virginia blend but not sure. simple and good imo eith way) Always smokes a little hot in my cob pipe and though I like the taste its not always great. Well I for some unknown reason decided to smoke while doing some logging today, First Id like to say that smoking an uncapped pipe while felling a tree is a bad idea. Those pitchy fur chips do not taste good in a pipe. But what fun it is to smoke a cob while running that old tractor :D Shoot Im rambling agin... Ok so Inside smoke where its warm is nice, outside where it was 30 degrees resulted in a cooler and much better tasting smoke. I enjoyed it far more in the cold. So it seems maybe your on to something with the temp.

7. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I ordered a tin a couple days ago with my tad order, can't wait till it gets here!

8. rphillips

rphillips Member

Awesome. Its some good stuff, Im preparing to order a couple more tins myself. I caution you though to give it some time (though reading this forum youve probably already figured that) I founf it tasted much much better after leaveing the bag open and the tin cracked for a couple days.

9. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I've been looking at these blends and have been drawn to the Copenhagen (b/c it's a VaPerBur), Black, Councilor 1695 (b/c it's a VaPer), and Linea (mainly b/c it said "hints of cappuccino). However, I started this search based on a friends recommendation of Sillem's Black. It looks like it would be good; perhaps best, in winter. It's out of stock where I've looked. I may order the others in the meanwhile.

Btw, I resurrected this thread via that search on Google :)

10. Capt

Capt Active Member

Brad, I agree with the temp thing. I rarely smoke in the summer. I just don't enjoy the taste all that much. Now, below 65 degrees, I'll be lighting up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.