Similar to SG MVF Blends...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by aircoder, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aircoder

aircoder Member

I received some SG MVF a week ago and fell in love with the raw mellow flavor of this blend. As it's hard to get one's hands on most of the SG blends these days, I was curious what other blends would mimmic the SG MVF. Most of the other VA's I have tried have a stronger more finished flavor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Coder...

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Mac Baren Virginia Flake is close. Also might try MVF's big brother FVF for a little more kick and Mac Barens Navy Flake for a more fruity smoke.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I haven't had MVF for a while, but when you use words like raw and mellow, (and me knowing the constituent ingredients of MVF), I think maybe any primarily 'bright/lemon' VA blend would be close. Maybe. I'm working on a tin of Ashton's Gold Rush that may be similar. I believe McClelland has a bulk called East(ern?) Carolina Ribbon that may parallel as well.

But like I said, it's been a while. Just thought a few more blends being named would give you chance to explore.

One more thing...I know the SG availability issue, but isn't MVF a twin to SG's tinned Golden Glow(I think that's its name)? That gives you two blends to potentially get frustrated over not finding anywhere!

4. aircoder

aircoder Member

Thank you both for the suggestions! I have heard that golden glow is the tin version but both are difficult to find to say the least. I will definitly give the astons, Macb, and mccellands an old college try.
    Code...

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Yup, tinned... Golden Glow = MVF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.