Sir Walter

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I was going to order a tin of CH from WV Smoke Shop and I also want to try SWR, which I haven't seen in stores. I remember a conversation a while back that I think came out more in favor of SWR aromatic rather than straight up. Can anyone confirm this before I drop $25 on a 14 oz tin?

Any comments on Granger are also welcome. I would like to have a tine with that label on my tobacco shelf.

Thanks.
    WK

2. Legend

Legend Member

There are people that love Granger; I don't. There are worse things to smoke, but it had a plastic aftertaste to me, and it always bites-this may be a body chemistry thing with me. I have smoked it on many different occasions, different pipes, filtered, w/o filter, etc. etc...and it still bites me good. SWR Aro is probably the best OTC Aro there is...SWR is good as well, I prefer the regular over the Aro. WV sells single pouches-I would start with those first. A Carter Hall smoker (like yourself) or PA smoker can often be very dissapointed by the others out there...those two are just the best.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not much to add, WK...pouches might be a better springboard, price wise. Looking to try out any of the SWR blends myself, so I'll be wraith-ing any pending discussions or opinions on that end.

-Kyle

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

SWR . :yes: I think it's the best otc burley .. have at least a bowl a day . Killer in the am and when you want an honest smoke that's easy to lite and smoke to the bottom

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

It depends if you like aros. SWR for many years was a great seller, very popular and well liked. The aro is nothing like the original, it is light and airy, a ribbon cut and to me much to light to enjoy while the original is very good. Granger is very different, it has a very dark, plastic like taste to it, I don't care a whole lot for it though I can smoke it. If you like Carter hall, you will like SWR reg the best.

6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I'm going with the SWR regular, a full tin. I find myself running low on all sorts of supplies. I'll run to the tobacconist up the street for my aromatics tomorrow, but I'm hooked on CH and would like to try another OTC. I figure I may as well go with the big tin so I don't run out again. Of course I'm a procrastinator, so this won't be a guarantee.

Thanks gents,
    WK

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Funnily enough I posted on Grainger on the other Forum I visit last night - I got some Grainger to try at the end of summer; I wasn't against it, it just didn't do a lot for me when I tried it then in a large briar.

I kept it in a jar and now were into frosty mornings I find it's enjoyable in a small cob which seems to concentrate the flavour a lot. And the flavour? It's unusual; a combination of subtle sweetness with a kind of earthy note. I'm liking it quite a lot but it could just be me,

Best to all

Gerry

8. doug6776

doug6776 Member

I bought a sample pouch of Granger from WV Smokeshop, I don't get a plastic taste, if I never had it again it wouldn't bother me, but there is something different about it that keeps me coming back. Mainly when I'm outside doing stuff with a cob. Give it a try, you never know, it may be your favorite otc.

9. Edlj

Edlj Member

Swr was at one time my favorite tobacco. It's now no. 3 after CH and PA. There's always a tub on the shelf though and my pouch gets filled with it at least once a week. The Aro is pretty good for me and I may add a tub to my next WVSS order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.