1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

SKAAL Free Hand Pipes, Denmark

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Fishczar, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishczar

Fishczar New Member

I recently was given a beautiful yet massive free hand pipe from a a Danish maker SKAAL. I have looked in all of the usual places and cannot find any information on this maker. It would appear that there are others, like me that owns these pipes but have very little information about the maker. i love a good mystery but this is crazy. My pipe has wonderful straight and Birdseye grain that just pops, the workmanship is quite good with the exception on the stem which was too small for the size of the bowl and damaged and nothing fancy so I have cut another stem to bring things in line. If anyone has information on this maker or experience could you share it and help solve the mystery.

Thanks

MDH

Linus likes this.

2. Linus

Linus Member

Now that IS a mystery, i tried googling in danish but could'nt get any wiser about it :/

With that said i can only refer to "skaal" as a word, until not so long ago aa in danish was pronunced as the A in fx "walk" , "drawer" etc, that dubble A has to a big part been replaced with "Å" but anyway. "Skaal" could simlpy mean "cheers" (in the meaning used when two or more people holds up there drinks in the air and says cheers) and the very same word also means "bowl" (fx a fruitbowl)

But really, i cant be sure, but i can ask at the next meeting with the local pipeclub :)

Hmm, i did'nt really brought any wisdom did i, heck at least i tried :)

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Useless without pics. Hint, hint.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. Fishczar

Fishczar New Member

Thanks for the feed back! I am not sure how to attach a picture of the pipe to this post, I would if I knew how. I have heard from another friend that has some experience in pipe collecting that there as a SKAAL pipe factory in Denmark that is no longer in business. No location or dates of operation but at least a little more to go on.
    If anyone can help with the posting of a picture of the pipe, I will post a picture of this mystery pipe.

MDH

5. Linus

Linus Member

I use photobucket and use the "directlink" adress

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.