Skiballa’s Rhine tobacco search!

Skiballa

Hey PSF! My wife and I have just returned from our cruise up the Rhine. It was a great time all around but I’m going to stick to tobacco related aspects.

Amsterdam was great fun, and I was delighted to see “Tabac” signs virtually everywhere. Unfortunately they sell a great variety of cigarettes and packages of shag cut for rollies, and that’s about it. The nearest pipe shop would sadly have closed before I made it there, being located on the far side of central Amsterdam from our docking location. I passed on the other readily available smokeable substance.

I googled every shop in any area we’d be docked, and mostly found myself out of easy distance of anything that looked interesting. Which held true until we landed at Cologne. Köln was awesome, after our guided tour of the cathedral and surrounds I set off on a mission in the direction of the Neumarkt. The New Market is currently under renovations, but half a block away sits the Peter Heinrichs store.

I didn't take any pictures inside the store unfortunately. It was certainly an experience though, highly recommended if you get the opportunity. Anyway, here's what I got.

Though not the next stop, the other point of interest was Heidelberg, just down the street from the Church of the Holy Ghost is this shop, selling a variety of local pouched tobacco.

And a little further down the same street I found Durninger Cigars, they had a few house brands, likely made under contract, where I ended up selecting their #100, described as a citrusy VA slice. Pictured is that, along with tobacco from the previous store, yes, odd selections I know, just couldn't resist.

Skiballa

Here's what is in the sampler, pretty much a variety of best selling blends.

I asked the question in a previous thread about how customs treats pipe tobacco, and honestly no issues arose, everything declared on the form, not even any questions about it. I ended up bringing back 800g in total, through the customs port at O'hare.

JoeM

Here's what is in the sampler, pretty much a variety of best selling blends.

I asked the question in a previous thread about how customs treats pipe tobacco, and honestly no issues arose, everything declared on the form, not even any questions about it. I ended up bringing back 800g in total, through the customs port at O'hare.
Was this a Viking Cruise? And if so, were you able to smoke your pipe on the boat? My Rhine cruise is at the end of June.

MakDragon

Wizard of PSF
Patron
It was indeed, the rear of the sun deck is the designated smoking area, and the only area allowed on the ship..
Same on the Viking Jarl on the Danube. However, one night, late, I was on deck and there were a half dozen men smoking cigars about mid ship. I asked them if they had any problems and they said no one said anything to them. But it was later in the evening.

Skiballa

@MakDragon
It’s probably not an issue if there’s no one there to complain. :th1:

The stretch between the Marksburg Castle and Rudesheim would have been a great time to enjoy a bowl on the deck, except for the wind. Our program director was quite a character, and pointed out and gave the history of every castle on that stretch, it’s in the book as a cruising day. Perhaps a cob and wind cap would be good to pack.

Last edited: