Skiff, Wow!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Patrick, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick Member

I opened a tin of Skiff yesterday after finishing the last of my Charing Cross. Wow, I am impressed! Both Skiff and Charing Cross are at the top of my English list now. To me both share a similar profile. Orientals dominate the blend. Latakia is a spice or condiment but never comes out on top. There’s a solid foundation of VA underneath it all. Do I perceive this correctly? If so then this is what I’m after. Orientals star in the show, latakia and VA play strong supporting roles. What other blends share a similar profile?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Usually tobaccos marked "light English" or "oriental blend" will do the job - a little latakia, a nice virginia base and the spicey tangy orientals doing the talking.

Presbyterian Mixture has been my go-to for years and years in this vein. A whisper of latakia in the smoke, but basically a very mellow and tasty affair.

Frog Morton on the Town is worth a try. It's well sweeter than most "real" tobaccos, but bears some similarity to the lighter end of the Gawith English tobaccos.

Red Rapparee and McConnell's Oriental, and Campanile are latakia-less I believe. I find the true non-latakia oriental blends border on Turkish-cigarette land, and I stop enjoying them because they aren't "pipey" to me.

3. Patrick

Patrick Member

Thanks Sas. I don't know what Turkish cigs taste like, but, yeah, I want some latakia to keep things interesting. Prespyterian will be in my next order, whenever that is. I already have an unopened tin of FMOTT on hand. Maybe it's time to open it.

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Red Rap, marked "english" on the underside of the can, is moderate latakia-y and it's all over you when you smoke this blend. Orientals in Red Rap are delicate but they make this blend when they peek through the latakia; the blend does not work in just any pipe for me - it needs the right briar (or a meer) to reveal itself.

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake is my idea of a premium virginia flake leading the dance with a demure latakia following not quite coyly.

5. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I smoked a tin of McConnell's Oriental about six months ago. I didn't hate it but I didn't buy a repeat tin. I think Sas is right when he mentions Turkish cigarettes. It wasn't pipe-y enough for me either.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not a very knowledgeable con-a-sewer of englishes...yet, but King Charles Mixture by Germain and the free Chairman of the Board sample I received probably fit your description as well. In fact, I find CotB to smack highly of orientals with hardly a wiff of Latakia...and my wife's nose agrees. (I can smoke it indoors...unlike King Charles). I don't find it Turkish 'cigaretty' either, and I have smoked them before. If you haven't called Sterling Tobacco yet for a free sample, now is a good time to explore on the cheap!

-Kyle

Edited to add- Sorry, I think you e-mail them, not call, but either way...

7. lestrout

lestrout Member

Patrick - I like most of the Samuel Gawiths, and Squadron Leader gets all the press, but I'm with you on the Skiff. Cool tin art too. Although SL has been in my cellar for quite a while, Skiff is more my preference for interesting tastes and interplay, especially to start the day. It also seems less picky as to the pipe compared to SL.

hp
    les

8. Patrick

Patrick Member

I've never tried Squadron Leader - plan to when it's back in stock somewhere. There is a lot going on in Skiff. To me the top of the bowl is like a salad where the various flavors are distinct and distinguishable. By mid bowl they meld together and, wow, that's where Skiff really shines. There's a high floral note at the start that fades away. Some on tobaccoreviews.com seem put off by this, but I like it while it lasts.

9. Patrick

Patrick Member

I just opened a tin of Red Rapparee and definitely smell some of the smokey stuff in there. I plan to smoke it in a brand new briar pipe which is earmarked for oriental blends only. Will this help bring out the best of this blend, or does it need some pipe mojo to do Red Rap right?

10. Patrick

Patrick Member

Kyle: I didn't know what you meant by the Sterling Tobacco sample until I found the thread on it here. I will definitely ask for a CotB sample. Thanks for the tip.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

It seems to call for a dedicated oriental pipe; to much latakia ghost (e.g. from a pipe that smokes a lot of english blends) kills the flavor for me. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.