1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Small wish list to start with

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by browny, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browny

browny Member

I think starting small is best when the hobby is as addictive as this lol.

I'd love to get a birth year Barling, the size shape would be a little open since I haven't found 1 yet.

I'd also like to get my hands on a few of the Esoterica tobaccos, I've heard such good things about the different lines and just can't wait for the next release.

That's it for starting the wish list............for now

sillyoldbear and mitchell like this.

2. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

If you weren't so adverse to Latakia...;)

browny likes this.
  3. muddler

muddler Member

Good move to start small. When I started I bought far too many pipes & far too many were not of great quality. Many became fishing pipes, others were given away.

Yes, Esoterica seems to have acquired mystical qualities now that it's not available. But when it was available the blends were not rated as the best of the best. Except perhaps for Penzance & Stonehaven. IMHO there are many fine tobaccos out there that merit attention.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Agree. Except for Penzance and Stonehaven, the rest of the line is pretty much an afterthought for most smokers. The other blends have their fans, of course, but I think the "I want what I can't have" thing is going strong.

browny and WalkinStick like this.
  5. browny

browny Member

I'm working on it lol. In fact I couldn't stand it at all a year ago but now small doses seem to go ok with some tobacco so in time......

sillyoldbear likes this.
  6. browny

browny Member

I bought myself a little stash of pipes, most for smoking but some too gone so for 'experimenting' so other than the birth date Barling I'm set there.

If anyone knows anything easily obtained and similar to the Esoterica I'd be paying attention.
    I'm also happy to wait for them I'd at least love to know roughly when they get out so I can order something else in the mean time.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  7. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

I'd be be interested to know how the SG Chocolate Flake goes for you. Let me know if you like it and I'll send more.

browny likes this.
  8. browny

browny Member

I'm hoping just fine....actually had it among the list for my next order lol. I'm not afraid to get too much Lat since it'll surely find a happy home if it is.

sillyoldbear likes this.
  9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Esoterica releases batches of Penzance and Stonehaven a couple/few times a year. There is no warning or advance notice unless you have some inside information (like a friend at an online vendor). The major online vendors sell everything they post in a matter of minutes. Particularly once someone post "so and so has Penzance!" The last batch was released a couple weeks ago and is now loooooong gone.

Germain's Rich Dark Flake is Stonehaven

Smokers Haven Krumble Kake (Germains) is Penzance.

But you won't find those either. Nope.

IMHO, Stonehaven is "unique." You'll not find a Stonehaven knockoff, yet.

Penzance is not unique, there are many Latakia/Oriental/Va flakes out there that are similar, but not quite the same. It really is a great smoke. I smoke it regularly and I cellar it, but there are a lot of fish in the sea.

These are not Penzance clones, they are sort of in the ballpark though, and at least you can buy them:

Captain Earl's Ten Russians and Stimulus Package.

Butera's Latakia Flake 1 and 2

Germain's Special Latakia Flake (sold out)

CF Lancer Slices

Umm. Lemme think.

Monkey and browny like this.
  10. browny

browny Member

I got an email from SP but due to the time difference, moving house and a few other issues it was 13 hours from email to I was on the site.....all gone. If I can't pre-order/pre-pay I guess Esoterica is off my list period, there is too many tobacco's out there to care about something that gets gobbled up in a few minutes, it's absolutely pointless imho.

As a side note my top 4 wanted was neither of the big 2....
    Dunbar, Tilbury, Pembroke and Dorchester are the ones on my wanted poster.

I'm thinking the pipe will stay on the wanted list but it just may get revised from that point onward.
    Cheers for the replies people happy piping to you all.

sillyoldbear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.