smoke cloud producing tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by glitchable, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glitchable

glitchable Member

hey guys i have lately been looking for a tobacco that just has a huge smoke output, i mean something i can literally take a bite out of, i want to be driving take out my pipe load it up and look like a cloud is driving on the road, you know what i mean? so if you guys could point me towards any tobaccos you guys think they do what im talking about that would be great! btw i was smoking a cigar the other day noticed it puts out alot more smoke then most pipe tobaccos and i noticed i liked it better just because of that fact.

Thanks guys

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

generally speaking if a pipe is throwing a ton of smoke its cause you're smoking too fast and its gonna taste like ass and burn the pipe out. sorry.

buy a bigger pipe? calabashes are pretty huge or you could commission a 1.5 inch bore from one of our resident makers.

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Welcome to PSF!

I switched over from cigars and have a similar predilection towards voluminous smoke...

I'm now smoking Erinmore Balkan Mixture, and am happy with the smoke clouds I'm getting. GL Pease Robusto (a blend containing cigar leaf) would be another good one too.

Above notwithstanding, it's possible to produce lots of smoke with almost any blend if you dry it properly, AND you rub it out so it's almost like tinder... that way you'll get maximum burn. Oh a big bowl would help too!

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I do actually like a large volume of smoke ( even after all these years ) - but without having to smoke too fast to get it. To "square the circle" I think it's the pipe you need to look at rather than the tobacco. For me a really free drawing pipe such as a cob without the filter or a Falcon does it best vitually regardless of the tobacco unless the tobacco is particulaary mild which tongu bite rears its ugly head,

Happy smoking

Gerry

5. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Generally speaking, tobaccos that burn faster tend to produce more smoke. For example, some of the OTC tobaccos like Sir Walter that are highly Burley in Content burn quickly and produce large amounts of smoke.

Jay

6. nobler son

nobler son Member

Not sure if I'm as fond of great clouds of smoke, as the only think I have to associate them with is a burning mouth.

7. IHT

IHT Member

i, too, prefer a lot of "smoke"... i guess i'm unlike some of the others and don't end up with a burnt mouth or harsh tobacco.
    i'm not talking about "youtube fetish video" amounts of smoke... but enough to taste it... not a wisp of something here or there, while sipping. there are many times when i sip, i still get plenty of smoke, other times i can't taste a thing because there's not enough smoke.

i don't really pay attention to what tobacco i'm using at the time produces a lot of smoke.
    someone mentioned cobs, i think he means straight cobs, as all my cobs (which are bent) have horrible draws on them even without the filter (no, not looking for advice on my cobs, or where to buy them).
    that leads me to the point about free-flowing draw. a lot of my pipes have an open draw, and that allows me to sip and still get a gob of smoke... now that i think about it, it's pretty damn easy to get a lot of smoke without overheating the tobacco if you have an open draw/airway...
    sure, if you're over-puffing on some tobacco that's too moist to stay lit, you'll get an excess amount of steam and singe your tongue-hair off.

8. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Isn't that one of Rugbyshk9's favorite blends?
    El Coolo de Pipa Especiale???? :roflmao:

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

the top of that radice sure looks like a brown eye landed on it. hmmm...

;)

10. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I would think a burley weed in a large bore, big bowl, straight nose warmer should do the trick.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Me too.A pipe making the same amount of smoke as a cigar is being smoked too hot for my taste.I guess some people just smoke hot,but my tongue wont allow me to.

12. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've had some 5110 in a cob that smolders like a green leaf fire before. But I've never really cared about how much is being produced as long as there's enough to show it's still burning.

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If the flavor is smooth I like some smoke volume, but there are some tobaccos that I really like the flavor, but are a little stout and taste better with gentle puffs.

One of my favorite tobaccos is from a shop in New Braunfels, Texas called The Tobacco Haus. The blend is called "Especial De Carlos". It is the smoothest, silkiest smoke I've ever had. I love the flavor, which is hard for me to describe. It's a little sweet, but not too much. My wife loves the smell of it burning. And it has another characteristic that you should enjoy... very thick, white smoke! I don't even have to puff it hard to produce very thick smoke. Gentle puffs produce lots of smoke and the flavor just envelopes your mouth.

If you decide to try it out, I don't believe Tobacco Haus does internet sales yet, but you could call & order some. It's only like $3.50 per ounce. The owner's name is Mark: (830) 620-7473

14. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Captain Black White never fails to produce an impressive cloud of smoke, regardless how easy I take it.

Bri2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.