Smoke Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cst

I didn't search the forum for this. Feel free to point out existing threads if you are so inclined.

Can you blow smoke rings on demand? I've been sitting out here in the garage for the last hour trying and have sucessfully blown three. Well, two and I burped one accidentally. I may be smoke ring impaired, or it could be the breeze in here distorting my efforts.
The way I read to do this was to hold your mouth open like that painting by Bosch, the one with the screaming dude, put your tongue on the floor of your mouth and move it forward while you also raise your chin and exhale as if you were sighing. Does this sound right?

Yup, just like the eleven o'clock news, I ask the hard hitting questions.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
What you need to make a ring, as far as I can tell, is a quick puff out followed by a quick "return". Put it this way - a machine to make smoke rings would consist of a box full of smoke, with a hole on one side and a skin stretched over the other side, like a drum. If you punch the skin, a perfect smoke ring will shoot out the hole.

I just make an O with my mouth and kind of punch the rings out with my jaw. There's no actual breath involved.

But that's just me. Maybe I do it funny.

Mr. Josh

Sounds about right, Sas. When I used to smoke cigs... You could take the plastic wrap on the bottom part of the box, slide it down but not off of the pack, burn a hole with your cig, blow smoke into the plastic wrap, and tap it so perfect mini rings would fly out of the hole.

Make sense? Didn't think so!

Science!!

Got one of those vapor smoke ring guns years ago. Fun for an entire 10 minutes! Same scientific principle.

This offers no instruction of how to make them :D

Rugbysh9

hominyjibjib said:
Science!!

Got one of those vapor smoke ring guns years ago. Fun for an entire 10 minutes! Same scientific principle.

This offers no instruction of how to make them :D
Don't tell me you actually had that link laying around :p

cst

My desktop image is Marilyn Monroe in a white bikini shooting a longbow.

Sasquatch's method works more reliably than the over complicated and goofylooking method I read about elsewhere online. Thanks!

Sweatsack

I got pretty good at it when I was working this summer (shows how hard I work). The advice someone else gave me, which worked pretty well, was that you have to "use your throat". I knew what he meant but it's hard to explain. I guess, instead of blowing, use your throat to control the air flow so that you only let small puffs escape your lungs at a time.

phinz

You can also make your mouth into an O after filling your mouth with smoke. Tap your cheek with your finger and small smoke rings will come out.

CBR

What I find is that if inhaling or exhaling is involved it won't work. There's just too much airflow.

What I haven't been able to do is blow a large ring and then a smaller rings that goes through middle!

Status
Not open for further replies.