Smoked my first bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

My first pipe showed up today with a little tobacco as well.

The pipe is a Brigham Voyager.......nice enough looking pipe to me anyway.

I had 4 45gr samples and the one I chose was called morning pleasure. It is a blend that says it is mostly Kentucky grown burley with 15% black Cavendish added in.

I used the 3 step method to pack the bowl........I think I was too light on the tamping on the top and to hard on bottom but I will get to carnegie hall the hard way :)

I have to say I was underwhelmed, but there was something underlying in the tobacco that I really liked, I am assuming that it was the 15% Cavendish but what do I know. I think the flavors were far to mild but I managed to get through without any tongue bite but I did have several relights. Maybe I smoked to gently. Also I was a wee rushed as I only had 45 minutes.

In the end I couldn't get it to relight so I assumed it was all burned. I tapped out what was left (should I do that right away?) and found that about 1/5 to 1/4 of the tobacco (maybe a little less) was unburned.

I am anxiously awaiting a couple of care packages as I am under the impression that this tobacco is wanting.

The tobacco's are Mr. B Custom Blends distributed by Brigham Enterprises.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
You'll never get the Brigham blends to burn well. They have a humectant added that keeps them fresh for... well, forever. But it also adds up to a wet pile of :poop: at the end of the smoke.

The Canadian tradition, of mixing good tobacco with 50 percent black cavendish and adding vanilla, leaves a little wanting.

IF you've got care packages arriving, see what they do for you, and go from there.

Sounds like your technique was fine.

Hitch

It would probably help to load up half or 2/3 a bowl your next few smokes. This will make it easier to smoke all the way down and some effort toward that end will payoff well later on.

Silverado

The last time I tried the Brigham blends, I found Mark Twain to be alright, but Sasquatch nailed it: they don't burn very well at all, and produce a ton of wet dottle in the pipe.

Letting a bowlful dry out for an hour or two before filling may help, a little.

SilverFox

Well I am glad to here that technique wise I am not completely off the mark.

And as I said there was a certain intrigue there just not enough to go "WOW"

The pipe seems to smoke well (like I would know) and I really enjoyed the whole experience. I will def smoke a bowl or two from each of the sample bags at least until my other tobacco shows up. If nothing else I am assuming it will help break in the pipe and give me some practice filling a bowl.

Thanks for the input gents.

OldAtHeart

If you can get your hands on a fuller virginia tobacco or oriental blend, it may give you a little more satisfaction. With your cigar background, you'll probably want something a little more full and complex than a burly/cavendish blend.

Keep us posted!

jamie7

I can't stand those Mr B (Brigham) blends anymore. Once you try some real tobaccos you probably won't go back either. Get a newbie sampler or read/research and place an order online. Or if there's someplace you can buy tinned tobacco that would be a good place to start. I hope you enjoy your smoking experience more next time, you just got stuck with some 2-D tobacco there.

SilverFox

Well I figure I am about halfway through bowl number three for the day.

Sadly (or perhaps not so) I have discovered that there isn't much worth smoking in the blends that I got.

I am both anxious and somewhat concerned about my tobacco that I have coming. If they are not a whole lot better than the stuff I have then it will be clear that the pipe is not for me.

The Brigham Mr B blends are not horrible they just well.... aren't. Every once in a while I will have a puff where I note something there that could be good but it is elusive and faint. Even with a nasal exhale it is very very bland. Not mild I think there is a difference but bland as in no flavors, subtle or otherwise.:confused: Hell there isn't really any aroma to speak of.

This third bowl is starting to sound like a bong on its last legs. I am assuming that means things are wet in there. My pipe cleaners won't be here till next week although I am assuming it will dry out.

I am thinking of tossing this tobacco in the trash so that I don't even try it again, hell I wish it was at least bad or nasty that would at least give some indication. Hmmmph:(

For now I am keeping the faith until the care package arrives with some tins of what I hope will be a far more enlightening experience.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Keep the tobacco - you never know. One of my favorite mixes is Brigham's Own (another mild aro) mixed about 50/50 with Peter Heinrich's Curly.

Smoker99

You need something stronger, and fuller bodied. Try something from Samuel Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth. G&H Sliced Brown Twist, Dark Birdseye, or Kendal Kentucky. SG 1792 or Commonwealth. All are full bodied easy to smoke tobaccos with a substantial nicotine hit.

Falconeer

Hi,

My advice to new pipe smokers is always to get at least a medium strength tobacco; virginia has been suggested already and it's a good starting point.

Gawith tobaccos have been mentioned too already; the only caveat I'd add is that they can be wet right out of the pack and do benefit from some drying before smoking. Experiment til you find the moisture level that suits you.

Persevere! You might have to try a good few tobaccos til you find some you really like - but don't bin the ones you're not too keen on right away, tastes do change over time.

The length of time you're taking over your bowlful says your tecnique is pretty good already!

Good Luck

Gerry

SilverFox

Falconeer said:
Hi,

My advice to new pipe smokers is always to get at least a medium strength tobacco; virginia has been suggested already and it's a good starting point.

Gawith tobaccos have been mentioned too already; the only caveat I'd add is that they can be wet right out of the pack and do benefit from some drying before smoking. Experiment til you find the moisture level that suits you.

Persevere! You might have to try a good few tobaccos til you find some you really like - but don't bin the ones you're not too keen on right away, tastes do change over time.

The length of time you're taking over your bowlful says your tecnique is pretty good already!

Good Luck

Gerry
Thanks Gerry

No worries on the perseverance, I actually quite enjoy the pipe and as I mentioned the tobacco wasn't bad it just wasn't anything.

Here are a few that I know are on the way

Mac Baren Navy Flake
McClelland Frog Morton
A.C Petersen Escudo
Samuel Gawith Squadren Leader
Prince Albert
G.L. Pease Blackpoint
Mac Baren Burley London Blend
Davidoff English Mixture

And apparently 30 other different types from a friend on another board that wants to give me a head start :eek:

I will have no shortage of blends to try, when the care package comes in I will post up the list so the FOG's can help me identify what is what.

I have to say there are good folks on here thank you very much to all for your patience to my many questions. I promise to try to get less annoying (please not the caveat try :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.