Smoker's Candles/Air Fresheners

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Gregory Rowe, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Gregory Rowe

Gregory Rowe Member

Anybody out there have any experience with smoker's candles or any of the air fresheners they sell at the pipe shops? Would like to smoke a bit more indoors and was just wondering if any of them work.

2. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

Hubby says switch tobaccos instead ... he claims Ennerdale is the ultimate room-freshener.

3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have two, seems to work but opening a window and using an exhaust fan (reversed window fan for the summer) works a LOT better. Just make sure the candle is going awhile before lighting a pipe, and not to venture far from said candle.

4. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

I bought my lover a Lampe Berger. She loves it. I don't smoke in the house proper, but it really does get rid of odors... like 'burned food on a skillet' smoke odors. :oops:

EDIT: Plus, it smells good.

No experience with the candles of which you speak.

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I take my wife's Yankee candles.. it annoys her however; latakia annoys her more ;)

Stormy likes this.
  6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Condor air freshener here...the bride loves it!

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  7. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

We must be the lucky ones. Hubby says he can't taste much in Ennerdale, but he loves the room note and will buy it by the pound for me to smoke.

8. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I want to get one of those smoke-eaters for my basement. Never though to get one of the smoker's candles. Might hve to pick one up tonight.

9. Biggles

Biggles Member

The Berger lamps work really well. Cheap too.

BradNTX likes this.
  10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've tried different stuff, but the best success I have with keeping the non-smoking wife happy about me smoking inside:

• No lat blends in the house or ropes either for that matter
    • Dump ash outside, not in a trash can or ash tray in the house
    • Pipe cleaners go in the trash can outside too; never leave them in the house, they smell funky
    • Spray Fabreze in the area you smoked in. In my study, I spray a light mist on the carpet, day bed and curtains
    • Open a window, even if cold or hot outside, for about 5 minutes to let a little fresh air in
    Pumpkin Spice Fabreze seems to work really well, and our Irish Terrier, Gracie goes bonkers when I spray it. I am fortunate to have a Panasonic Whisper fan in my study, so it helps exhaust out the air. If you can vent smoke outside, it helps. I close the door to the study as well. I do, on rare occasion, smoke in the living room with her blessing. I make sure to select something with an above average room note for the concession. :bing:

Raffxr7 likes this.
  11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Yes, my wife has a Lamp Berger and a few different oils for it. It works well too. I also burn a little Sandalwood incense now and then. Its not something I can tolerate often, but it's kind of nice now and then. Especially if you mix it with open windows when its nice outside.

12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I wish my wife noticed room notes, she smells the same thing for almost all of my tobacco... I even tried aros vs latakia and there was no different response. I guess this is a mixed blessing and curse, since that means I can smoke latakia and receive no worse of a reaction... :)

remington likes this.
  13. Johnny

Johnny Member

I've had pretty good success with the smoker's candles from smokingpipes.com. The strawberry smells pretty good but I'll burn it after smoking and I only smoke in one room of our apartment since our daughter was born and keep the door closed at all times with an old towel at the bottom of the door

14. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I may have to look into some of these things...I am hoping Santa brings permission to smoke in my study...and beer.

15. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

What's a good option in between Febreeze and those $50+ Berger lamps? I only smoke in one room and only with the windows open, but that room is getting a bit ripe.

Edit: I see that they've got one for $30. How long does that oil last? 1+ month on a fillup...or is that something you're refilling weekly?

TheNewGuy likes this.
  16. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I'm going down to the Indian reservation later today and they stock these things. I just hope to avoid some godawful cloying whorehouse stench.

bubbagump likes this.
  17. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

My aunt who used to chain smoke cigarettes always had a plain unscented hurricane candle burning in the room where she smoked and believe it or not, it did help remove the cigarette smell and smoke, just a plain candle burning.

bubbagump likes this.
  18. BookerBandit

BookerBandit Member

Bumping up an old thread because I'm considering one of those Lampe Bergers. I see smoking pipes has them on sale now.

Coming from a home I owned for the past 20+ years to a rental. There's really nothing in my lease that says I can't smoke but still, I like it here and don't want to cause any problems if I smoke. I also don't want to freeze my behind when the weather is nasty, heh. The wife burns scented candles a lot and they do help. Does the oil in those things last a good while or would I be spending more on oil than a monthly TAD? PAD, TAD, and OAD? My wallet can't take that, haha.

19. Nick Correia

Nick Correia Member

I have covered it with incense, but that's only diversionary, it's the same with pipe candles or oil. I often will burn a pipe scented candle or an oil and blame it on the candle/oil. Only works for aros though. One time I washed the wood floors with a vinegar solution and then some wood sealer and those aromas worked to replace the smell as I vented the house. I have noticed that a swamp cooler works push out smells faster, but being winter, that doesn't really help. I still haven't found the perfect device yet.

-Nick

20. Rabbit

Rabbit Member

Here ya go, Nick. ;)

[​IMG]

ruffinogold and Nick Correia like this.