Smoker's Pride BC Problems

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Rockabilly J, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockabilly J

Rockabilly J Member

A few people said that a Black Cavendish is a good intro toby, so this is what I bought as my first pipe tobacco. I smoked it for a few weeks, before buying some local B&M blends that were mostly Virginia/Burley/Cavendish blends. After smoking the local blends and going back to the Black Cavendish, I found it to be, simply put, unsmokable. I couldn't even finish half a bowl of it, and I was sick to my stomach the whole evening. I won't touch Black Cavendishes anymore. Anyone have similar experiences with this tobacco?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It sounds like your local B&M poisoned you . SP Black Cavendish contains Vitamins and Minerals and trace amounts of snails and puppy dog tails , all good for growing boys .
    Honestly , I cant figure it . Anytime I've smoked it ... its always the same .. pretty damn good :th1:

Rewster66, Trauma and TedVig like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Rare is the tobacco that has turned on me so severely, but it has happened. Your tastes simply may have changed. I can't explain the ill feeling but if ever there was a reason to give up on a tobacco, I would think that would be it.

I actually still smoke a couple oz a year of Lane's BCA. If a tobacco was good once, it usually retains some small place in my heart.

Rewster66 and TedVig like this.
  4. Rockabilly J

Rockabilly J Member

Maybe it was a change in taste. Some of the B&M blends have Cavendish in it, and when I pick up on it, that unpleasant taste is there again. It's odd how quickly things changed.

5. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Perhaps you just don't like black cavendish in large amounts. Like I liked Captain Black until I tried "better" blends and now I can't smoke the stuff.

6. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Sounds like you have a disease.

Look in mirror and make sure your nose isn't slowly turning upwards, and you no longer like any pipe that costs less than $200

Rewster66 and ruffinogold like this.
  7. Rockabilly J

Rockabilly J Member

But my upturned nose helps me enjoy pipe smoking more! $200 pipes on the other hand... One Dunhill doesn't hurt, does it?

Rewster66, ruffinogold and dwaugh like this.
  8. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Have you tried other Black Cavs? SP look to be a budget blend - perhaps you don't like smoking propylene glycol! I feel similarly though not quite so strongly about the Altadis Black & Gold Cav. By contrast, Stokkebye Dansk Black and Golden Dansk are still in my stash. I only rarely smoke them, but they're pleasant from time to time.

9. Rockabilly J

Rockabilly J Member

I'm willing to give other Black Cavs a shot. I'll see if I can find any at the local B&Ms. If not, I'll see about the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the references.

A friend of a friend smokes what I believe is a Black Cavendish that comes from a B&M in Lansing. The room note has a strong chocolate note. It made me reconsider Cavs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.