smokin antlers

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by mcgoven9, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcgoven9

mcgoven9 Member

I have heard of all the differnt materials for pipes. But I don't believe one person has talked about deer antler. They are hard to find. I have one that I bought at a Native American store in my hometown. I have had it for a long time, and it smokes great. It has no fancy imbelishment on it that a lot of Native pipes tend to do.

I like it so much that I am planning on makeing one, once me and my wife get done moving into our new appartment.

In case any of you are wondering, I do have a Soix long pipe. Also known by many people as a peace pipe, and I do smoke it once in a while. The bowl is made of clay, and the shaft is made of cured walnut.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Jake Hackert makes cob pipes with an antler shank. I've seen MM-style Generals, Diplomats, and I believe I recall a Patriot (wood-plug bottoms) but with Jake's "touch of magic" and the antler shanks. I own a General w/antler and she's a real conversation starter and smokes quite well to boot. You can find them on ebay (but they usually sell very quickly) or you can go to his website store and contact him through there.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I've seen plenty of antler used for stem extensions in German and like traditional pipes. Or do you mean for the smoking chamber?

4. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

The problems with bone is to get all the little nasties out of it. Larvae, funghi and all that.
    I guess you steam the heck out of the horn with hot steam and then...

...well, it just seems like those nasties that were in there thriving STILL has a breeding ground in there and if one should be back he'd happily start another colony of festering bacteria in there.

That said, people have used bone and antler pipes for as long as... well... a looong time and I cannot really recall anyone I know actively dying from it.

In my mind there are worse things in the world to worry about!

/J

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Like Puff, I have a General with antler(and briar) shank. No problems, other than I don't smoke it much...weighs a ton! Good for a leisurely 2+ hour smoke, though. Haven't noticed mushrooms growing from it either, so :thumbsu: .

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Antlers are not bone they are closer to what finger nails are made from.

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i'd talked to someone about this because i'm pretty paranoid about things like that.

as long as the antler or bone has been sterilized (yes jes, they're different but they're both prone to some nasty mini-beasties) it shouldn't be a problem, as for re-infection ala fruktflugan's hypothesis, most of those parasites live on the ground and in animal feces, so unless you're rubbing one or the other into your shank extension regularly, again shouldnt be an issue.

again, this is hearsay, so dont take this to mean you're anthrax proof or anything.

8. mcgoven9

mcgoven9 Member

I am talking about the smoking chamber. When I get the chance I will post pics of the pipe I do have. I might even post some pics of my Peace Pipe.

9. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

My point of interest would be how a smoking chamber of horn would hold up...

Isn't heat supposed to make horn soft or do you have to have moisture added to do this?

Either way interesting.

Just make sure you don't get the nasties into your smoke... ...we wouldn't want to get anyone to think pipe smoking is dangerous would we!?

10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Looks like I will have to break another 'bad' habit then. ;)

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

12. TrevorStantis

TrevorStantis Member

You generally don't have to worry about sterilizing antlers to much. Horns on the other hand are covering in nasty bits like sinew, blood, and hide. But generally you boil both antler and horn and that removes most everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.