Smoking a briar

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jhguthlac, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I have read in several places that youshould only smoke a particular briar pipe once a day. What do you do? Can you smoke one several times a day, or do they need a long time to rest between smokes?

2. Bear84

Bear84 Member

There are many opinions on this, and it comes up fairly regularly. I use a fairly general rule of thumb with my briars. Keep an eye on moisture and heat. This varies wildly depending on the baccy, the rate you smoke, the wind....on and on. If my briars start to gurgle often and I can feel excess heat in my hand (a good trick is to hold the pipe to your cheek to guage the heat) I put it down for a while.

It's only pipe smoking, don't overthink it too much. Do what is right for you. Some guys smoke a bowl and rest their pipes for 72 hours and there are guys that keep the same pipe lit all day long.

3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I usually smoke 3 or 4 bowls in a briar pipe then clean it up and let it rest for a week or so. Easy to do if you have several pipes but not so easy if you have only one or two.

4. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

A dry tobacco (I dry all of my tobacco before loading) will not add as much moisture to the briar (or any other pipe). (I smoke mainly va/vapers, btw) . There are some tobaccos that are very moist when purchased and moisture will condense readily causing a wet heel/dottle problem.

I think, until you get things sorted out and discover how your briar behaves with your tobacco and smoking style, that it would be wise to buy some Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes. The Missouri Pride is a natural finished cob (which are the best smoker's IMO) that cost around $4.00. Smoke those while your briar(s) rest for awhile. You may find, like many of us, that MM cobs are excellent smokers and get regular use. I have 15 cobs in my rotation, a meer and two briars. Cobs are a good way to test various tobaccos without worrying about ghosting your briar with something you don't like.

Skrymr likes this.
  5. Goat

Goat Active Member

I just bought a new Peteson Tankard a couple of days ago. I have put about 9 or 10 bowls through her in the last two days. Normally I don't smoke a briar that many times in that short of a period but I'm trying to break this one in.

Long and short of it is I wouldn't worry to much about how many bowls you put through a brair in any single day. But if you go multiple days like that I would recommend resting it for a bit. My new Pete Tankard is not in the rack and will stay there for the next couple of days.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Anyone remember pre-rotation days? - when the average pipeman had maybe a couple, and smoked them all day at work etc. (you could then!) and let them rest or dry overnight. I'm not saying we should go back to that practice - but I've mentioned before how I went on a weeks holiday, and for some reason just had one pipe with me (a Donegal Rocky) - I smoked it all day, every day with just frequent cleaners run through!....don't recall it being foul or spoiled in any way.
    OT

7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Somewhere in the world, an assemblage of pipe makers are voting to put out "a hit".

When that happens, can I have your pipes?:whis:

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

:ohyh:....sure! - but you won't get a good vacation on the value of mine!;)

9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

He meant all of your pipes, not just your briars.

WyoBob and Old Ted like this.
  10. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

As you gain more experience, the pipe will tell you when you are over smoking it. Some rest is very benificial, but there is no known "best" amount.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

yeah!....I know!:(

12. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

I've always suspected that "rest period" for briars was just an excuse to buy/have more pipes ...
    :whis:

SalopSt, Raffxr7 and Alan Dye like this.
  13. DGErwin11

Not that there is anything wrong with that.:rolleyes:

Being able rest/rotate pipes is a good idea. But, at 22 pipes, I may be on the verge of going beyond the bare basics.:old:

14. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

All the old timers i know smoke the same pipe all day everyday,Why you ask because they are pipesmokers .:old:

15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yes I do. I like to spoil myself from time to time, and buy a new pipe or Falcon bowl when the whim strikes. I've built quite a collection that way. However, two pipes is all a pipe smoker really needs... assuming he or she stick to blends that don't ghost. Just run a pipe cleaner through them frequently, give them a good whiskey swabbing every now and then, and use a decent pocket knife to whittle down the cake when it builds up too much.

DGErwin11 likes this.
  16. DGErwin11

But not as much fun.

RTOdhner likes this.
  17. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I rest a pipe when I am not smoking it. Sometimes it is for a few minutes, sometimes it is for a week.

I keep deep clean them once a quarter, smoke them as cool as possible and always run a pipe cleaner after every bowl.

No worries here.

Raffxr7 and DGErwin11 like this.
  18. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Nope, not near as much fun.

DGErwin11 likes this.
  19. jdto

jdto Active Member

I have a question about this. A lot of the old collections we see being sold at estate sales or on Ebay tend to have at least a few pipes. A lot of the "vintage" racks sold on the 'Bay (including the two I bought) have slots for multiple pipes. My grandfather smoked a pipe for many years and he was not one for excess or superfluous purchasing, yet I know he had at least a few pipes. Is it possible that we are attributing too much to the "old days one pipe guy" mystique? Evidence would seem to indicate that many pipers had at least a few pipes to rotate.

Alan Dye likes this.
  20. DGErwin11

My fathed and grandfather each had a few pipes, not sure how many. t I seem to recall that they usually smoke the same pipe all day long.

jhguthlac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.