Smoking hasnt been as good lately =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSaint

hey guys saint reporting in

the last 2 weeks or so my good ole pipe hasnt been smoking very well ... the flavor is very stale/yukky, not like when i first got it and it took me on some great flavor adventures

i keep all my tobacco in sealed 'flip latch' style glass jars

i have had the pipe for about 3 months now and clean it regularily with pipe cleaners and tissues

i havnt salted it or anything like that and i havent reemed it yet either

i do have a peterson on its way as well ... so i hope its not my tobacco thats gone bad =/

can anyone offer some advice?

:cursing:

user0003

Sounds like your pipe needs a good cleaning and rest. Congrates on the Pete, keep in mind when it arrives that it can take a while for it to come around.

Rugbysh9

Jesla said:
Sounds like your pipe needs a good cleaning and rest. Congrates on the Pete, keep in mind when it arrives that it can take a while for it to come around.
X2 to what Jeff said. Eventually pipe cleaners won't do it on their own, especially when you constantly use if to smoke various pipe weeds. Hope you picked up a few cobs with the Pete, it'll help a great deal with giving the Falcon some rest.

Rugbysh9

Do you have access to bristel pipe cleaners? The fluffies only grab the moisture. Get a few soaked in a high proof booze in the meantime. let it dry for a few days and try again.

TheSaint

yeah it is a bit smelly ... its worse when i break it down and run tissues/pipe cleaners through it

i have been using the colored ones that kids play with because i get them in bulk for free (partner is in childcare) and i cant find normal ones at shops ... i bought a lot of proper pipe ones off ebay but they havnt arrived yet

how do i go about cleaning it? i have read snippets here and there
what kind of salt do i use? and how many drops of alcohol do i put in? can it be a brandy/rum or does it have to be something like isocol?

DoverPipes

TheSaint said:
yeah it is a bit smelly ... its worse when i break it down and run tissues/pipe cleaners through it

i have been using the colored ones that kids play with because i get them in bulk for free (partner is in childcare) and i cant find normal ones at shops ... i bought a lot of proper pipe ones off ebay but they havnt arrived yet

DUMP THE COLORED PIPE CLEANERS ASAP!!! You have no idea what dyes and chemicals are on them. I can only imagine the residue that they are leaving in the pipe. As others have suggested, bristle pipe cleaners and salt treatment NOW!!! If that doesn't work you might want it professionally cleaned. Walker Briarworks does an Ozone treatment for $5. That will kill damn near anything that could be fouling your pipe. Are you smoking multiple types of tobacco in your pipe??:bing:

Rugbysh9

Dover he is down under, the economics of shipping to Walker kind of outweighs his benefit, but I agree those "craft" pipe cleaners have got to GO

Bobby 151

Definitely those craft cleaners have to go if you want to use them for pipes,they are only good to make Styrofoam snowmen. Get some cleaners for pipes on line if you have to,and a lot of them,they are not expensive and you will be glad to have them,believe me.You could also use some alcohol and dip the cleaner in it and send it down the stem.Also double up the cleaner and swab the bowl,be very careful that the alcohol DOES NOT come in contact of the bowl or it will strip the finish right off.Hope this helps you brother.:bing:

Get the good cleaners. Dip the tip of one in the clear liquor of your choice. Run it through until visibly soiled. Follow up with a dry cleaner. Repeat as necessary.

TheSaint

i have been using tissues and a good quality brandy to clean the stem, outside of the bowl, and the bit wer the stem goes into the bowl

i have some quality pipe cleaners coming in from the net anytime now

definatly have to read up on this salting thing a bit more

Falconeer

Hi,

Long shot, but I wonder if some of the problem is to do with those pipe cleaners you've been using especially if they haven't been dipped in alcohol?

Before I started soaking pipe cleaners in whisky for the last clean of the day I'd find that over time my pipes would develop an off taste and would seem to narrow up on the draw - problem turned out to be fur cast off from the pipe cleaner bonding with the pipe goo and clogging things up - when this happened I'd have to straighten out a paper clip and dig out the stem particularly towards where it flared out at the mouthpiece.

Just a thought,

Gerry

just a note, I regularly clean my pipe using pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol. Lately, the funky foul smell and taste starts to bug me and I grab myself a pack of salt and undergo that treatment. Now all tobacco tasted very pure and clean, its like the first day when I got my pipe and I am enjoying it more and more :3

TheSaint

ok so i got some proper pipe cleaners now and they are 1000 times better than those crappy craft ones

i also cleaned my pipe ... i gave the pipe a light reem, put a pipe cleaner in up to the bottom of the bowl, filled it with salt and put a couple of the strongest alcohol i could find (a good quality old brandy) in there ... let it sit over night and than cleaned out the salt

wont get to smoke it until the weekend so i will let you know than ... smells a little like brandy now lol ... thats not really a bad thing haha

TheSaint

ok so i had the first smoke from the cleaned pipe ... i think my tobacco may have dried out or something

the pipe is smoking alot smoother/slower/cooler/dryer now and the taste is alot better ... but the tobacco tastes kind of cigar esque ... or even a little cigarette'ish

im smoking MacB scottish mixture ... usually it has a nice honey'ish after taste ... but i feel like im smoking a cheap cigar =/

mcgoven9

try smoking something totaly different. I love captain black, but when I need a change I smoke borkum riff.

---Smoke well, Puff happily---

Marc

Well I'm not an advocate of the salt treatment or filling a briar with alcohol of any kind, in my many years of pipe smoking I have always found that maintaining little to no cake in your pipe and keeping it dry (read well rested here) has always kept my briar pipes cool and dry smoking and sweet tasting. And now that I smoke cobs exclusively, I find cob pipe maintenance even easier to maintain a fresh smoking pipe. Perhaps you just needed to give your pipe and palate a rest for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.