Smoking like SWR

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Whalehead King, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I don’t cellar tobacco. I have always lived more like a grasshopper than an ant. I’ve got a few mason jars of tobacco, but they aren’t labeled. I don’t remember what is in them anymore, though I can tell that some is flake, and some is coins, but I don’t even recall why I wanted to save these.

I’m the kind or person who goes to the grocery store every day to pick up the ingredients for the next meal, no more and no less. Ask me about my investments, and I will tell you that they exist, but I have no idea how they are performing. I assume that when I need some liquidity, it will be there. I have very simple needs.

I have a preferred tobacco that I smoke more than any other. It is SWRA. I have about a quarter tin left, so I ordered two replacements. I figure each will last a month and a half. I should be good till 2012. Should I have ordered 12 tins, afraid that the world’s SWRA supply might run out in the next year? By my nature, I don’t think that far into the future, but I know some people do.

I prefer to think that pipe smoking will remain relatively unmolested for the foreseeable future. Granted, I don’t track the trends in any meaningful way, but anecdotal experience shows me that pipe smoking is not maligned, for the most part. A pipe smoker is more a welcome curiosity than a nuisance, or a public menace.

As long as we are fragrantly pleasant ambassadors of our minor vice, we have nothing to fear. Smoke wisely, and smoke well, even if it is just a short supply of SWRA. Remember, Sir Walter himself, who is remembered for many reasons, is always referred to as a perfect gentleman.

Mark w4mms, RTOdhner, Tanman and 3 others like this.

2. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Great post!:)

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The tubs keep for years . I dont kow how long for sure . It's just a gut feeling I got , but I think when the healthcare deal kicks in , after a while things in that field will change pretty quick and if the govnt has a say in your health ... the taxes will go nuts on tobacco . Just a gut feeling . Ya got time to stock up but it sure couldnt hurt to get what you can afford . Enjoy that SWRA .. it's good stuff !

Mark w4mms and RTOdhner like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that it won't ever go away, but I'm not so sure that it won't. I think the best case scenario is will they will tax it so high that it becomes really painful. That's why I'm cellaring, that and wanting to ensure I always have a supply of my favorite blends.

5. rodobobthebrit

rodobobthebrit Member

I wish I had the money to cellar. :(

Maybe in a few months I'll have enough money to start.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat!

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

The only way I can escape to simpler times is to light my pipe and put headphones on. Right now I'm listening to Janis Joplin. When I've got my headphones on nothing from the outside gets in.

Ol Brokedik.

Now listening to "War" by Edwin Starr. He sounds angry.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Janis Joplin and a pipe - great combination. I like headphones for the same reason.

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Good to hear from you, Arkie. Keep it real.

OBD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.