Smoking long-aged tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Last night, I popped open a jar of Best Brown Flake from 2003. Couldn't wait to fill my bowl and puff contentedly away. However, everytime I do this without allowing the tobacco some time to "breathe", the blend reminds me that I forgot. The tobacco was dusty tasting and kind of nasty. Harsh. Took it half a bowl to smooth out.

I can't stress enough the need to open long-stored jars and let the tobacco absorb a few minutes of outside air before smoking. You cellarers take note. It only takes a few minutes to change a blend from "WTF is this crap" to "ahhhh, bliss". Treat it like a fine wine and it'll treat you like a fine woman. Even if you are a woman.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

How about that. Early last week I opened a small jar of FVF from '00, and did the same damned thing. While smoking that first bowl, I emptied the jar into a bowl and gave it a little toss. All subsequent bowls have been much better.

And here I thought that you were a lot smarter than me.:D

3. muddler

muddler Member

I find the same is very true for McClelland flakes - they need some air time to really blossom. And the further down the jar I go the better they get.

jdto, jpberg, dmkerr and 1 other person like this.
  4. dmkerr

I merely aspire to Bergdom. :nwor:

Old Codger, Rockbass, jdto and 2 others like this.
  5. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I usually jar it straight out of the tin and the next time I go into the jar, it is ready. Whenever I am impatient, I pay for it with a dusty, almost moldy flavor as well. I just did that with some Kingfisher from '99. The fist smoke was so-so but every one since has been fabulous.

Old Codger, jpberg and dmkerr like this.
  6. dmkerr

Yep! The last time I pulled this stunt, it was with a jar of St James Woods from 1995.

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  7. Capt

Capt Active Member

Kerr, I am really hoping you are able to make a trip up here soon. I have about 1.4oz of Mc2015 from 1990. I smoke it on rare occasions, I would be curious to see what your take is on it.

dmkerr, jdto and FlatbushPaul like this.
  8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You poor, misguided soul.

dmkerr, FlatbushPaul and jdto like this.
  9. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

Excellent information and good to know. The only thing I've come across so far that I want to age is McB Va No. 1
    I have put some away and am looking forward to see what 6 months, a year and so on does to it 'cause it's so damn good right off the bat.

10. Rockbass

Rockbass Member

:snork:"Speaking words of wisdom, let it breath".:snork:

11. furious

furious Junque collector

Good advice there. I have found the old standby of packing a bowl and then blowing through the top a couple of times rehydrates and aerates the baccy just enough for good smoking. In fact just did it now with some 1941 GW Cut Plug and it tastes great!

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Good advice , Dmkerr :th1: When ya pop an old tin , at least pretend it's one of those pain in the ass blends that you have to wait on . Maybe that's why SG Fire Dance is so damn good , it thinks it's aged :xd:

Monkey likes this.
  13. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

If I ever manage to rally the patience to "age" a blend, I'll bare this in mind ;)

14. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Very interesting!
    I wonder if the same is true of tobacco aged for a much shorter time?
    I decided to have a bowl of 2012 Christmas cheer last evening, which has been jarred for 10 months. I opened the jar packed the bowl and fired it up. MEH it was just Ok not great, but then 1/3 to 1/2 way down the bowl it opened up and became wonderful. I don't have much experience with this tobacco, so I just thought it was a slow starter.
    Now you've got me wondering.

15. sonarman

sonarman Member

Sounds like all tobacco benefits from a little air time.

16. dmkerr

Probably. Two years is the shortest time I've experienced for a blend to exhibit this. It may be shorter still.

17. dmkerr

I have some as well! I'll bring some to restock your jar. I actually have about half a pound left.

My take on my batch is that at some point (I don't know where exactly) it smokes almost precisely like aged St James Woods. It's excellent.

Rockbass and Capt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.