Smoking method history

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woodbutcher, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

There is a maxim about smoking that pipes and cigars are NOT inhaled like cigarettes. Anyone who has tried to inhale a pipe like a cigarette can vouch for the validity of this. Has it always been true?

Pipes and cigars were around for a long time before someone came up with the alternative (cheaper?) method of smoking tobacco rolled in paper. What determined that this new method should have a different process of ingestion? It seems that the same established smoking method would apply to the new kid on the block.
    Is it possible that cigars and pipes were originally inhaled, but, the blends evolved into being more taste oriented and caused the shift in the way they were used?
    Do you think that Sir Walter Raleigh inhaled or snorked?
    Opinions?
    Dan

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, in most aboriginal American cultures pipes are communal, and one does inhale. Again: if I'm not mistaken.

If this is so, and if this tradition is at least as old as the introduction of the custom of pipe smoking to Europe, then yes, the earliest caucasian smokers also probably inhaled.

If this was not customary initially among white smokers, then almost surely in learning to smoke one would inevitably inhale here and there by mistake. The effects of nicotine introduced to the body this way are rapidly apparent. At least according to one account with which I am familiar, cigarettes were created by the French poor as they dismantled cigar butts flung from the carriages of the elite, and rolled them in paper so that they, too, could smoke. If this is true, inhaling would be an easy way to make the tobacco last longer - far less is needed to feel the effects.

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Thanks Woody. I'm getting a copy of that book. I enjoy reading about history and it's ties to other subjects I'm into.
    Dan

5. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

The natives roll Tambolaka into cigarettes and inhale. I can't even imagine as 1/4 of the way through a bowl of it, I'm almost ready for the paramedics:eek:

WyoBob

6. woody

woody Admin Admin

Good choice, it is full of information.

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

From what I've learned of the traditional Lakota chununpa ceremony, one does not inhale. Outside of spiritual practices, it may be different.

Bri2k

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

My lovely wife ordered this book, and it just arrived today, "The book of Pipes & Tobacco". Don't be scared by the new price, we got it used through Amazon. It looks like it may answer some of your questions, of which I am also curious too. I will let you know if I find anything in it. Just the reproduced historical images make the book worth it, I'm very excited!! -David

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I would think some of the American cigars were inhaled . Have ya ever smoked sun grown conn , like Judges cave .. the stuff Munniemaker produces .Or the stuff National makes , like Marsh Wheeling ... They are all super easy and dont hurt if you inhale them . I'd imagine that some of the old time cigars were pretty ruff and that people didnt inhale those maybe . If the old time pipe tobacco was like SWR then it would be a no brainer that they were inhaleing . I just picked up and old brand of twist made in Kentucky called Cumberland . We'll see if it's inhaleable .... got a test subject for that one ... lol .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.