Smoking Penzance same as flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Amalgam, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks to the buzz for the batch of Pezance that appeared on the market a few days ago, I bought my tin to see if I had the chance to taste one of the more talked about tobaccos. Now I tried it last knight and once I started to separate one of thin flakes it crumbled. So, I went ahead and crumbled the rest of it and packed my pipe as I always do with any other tobacco. Here is when weird things happened. First, the tobaco literally went off as soon as I took the flame off of it. So I had to use a lot of flame and a hard suction to keep it lit. And, once in a while I had to puff hard and repeatedly to bring the pipe back to life. Another thing that I noticed was that when I was puffing I could hear the air all way through, so I wonder if it was to lightly packed. Having said said that, can you please explain to me what I could have done wrong.

Thank you guys

Alfredo

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

it is called crumble cake. this tobacco tends to be the very moist when shipped.

allow a flake to dry for an hour before you crumble it. try again and tamp lightly so you don't plug up the pipe. this tobacco has a learning curve. ;)

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sounds like a tighter pack is in order. Try again, and again, and again...a good bowl is worth the learning curve.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

The almighty bovine is spot on here. Let it dry a bit. It still crumbles like mad, but you'll be able to grab a flake or two and "stuff" into the pipe. I usually get two flakes per bowl and that's enough to fill an average-sized bowl with just a little headroom. I pack just enough to get a slight bit of resistance, and enjoy. This stuff stays lit wonderfully once it is dried a bit. Once you get the rhythm down of dealing with this flake I'm sure you'll see why it is in such high demand.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I just bust it up. Put the biggest chunks in the bottom of the bowl real loose, followed by the medium stuff, and put the dust and bits on top and light 'er up. Works great.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

To follow up one what the ugly one said, it's not a bad idea to break up more than your going to use at the time. Always having a little pre crumbled (= drier) in your tin allows you to put that stuff on as the top layer of your next bowl, giving you a nice, even light.

You've only been smoking a short while, don't go all cuckoo if this stuff frustrates you a bit.

7. Brian

Brian Member

I had the joy of one tin of Penzance. I know it is cut into pretty looking flakes, but I was never able to stuff them really either. They are sliced crumble cake -- odd huh? I love the look of slices in a tin, so two thumbs up for presentation.

I rubbed out and packed lightly. I don't think you need to compress a lot, maybe just do more like Sas said, put some bigger chunks on bottom and load the rest up with finer rubbings.

I had to dry mine out more than usual too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.