Smoking Pipes In The Museum Of The Confederacy In Richmond, VA.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Dispatch, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

Here are some actual pipes the soldiers used during the Civil War, they are on display at The Museum Of The Confederacy in Richmond, VA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nowsharing and telltime like this.

2. pipe tamper72

pipe tamper72 Member

Wow some of those old pipes are rather intricate. And the stories those pipes could tell just imagine. I'm a history buff my self, and visited Fort Monroe where they held Jeff Davis after the war, toured Fort Sumter and visited Shiloh National Battle Field and to walk those areas was an honor I will always remember. I seen a Civil war reenactment camp a few years back and a man portraying a Union soldier whittled out a pipe out of a tree branch and was burning the smoke hole in the stem with a heated coat hanger.Don't know if he ever succeeded it was an awful long stem like a church warden but not bent. Goes to show you how resourceful those soldiers were with minimum tools. In other words if there's a will there's away. I have taken up smoking but still cursing lol

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

The first two photos look to be of a meerschaum, tragically broken. Beautiful amber stem there too.
    the second is quite a fine old pipe...not sure about the plug though. Possibly from a double drilling? Drill the shank straight down, then a second into the bowl. Pull the plug to clean the lower part of the draft? Interesting!

4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

What a great post! THanks for the pictures! What a great "politically incorrect" display for a museum!!! Way to go VIrginia!!!

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for the very nice post! Great pictures, Beale.

6. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

It's neat to see what kind of pipes they had back then. Thanks for sharing!

~Aaron

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Oh, man, that amber stem makes me covetous. Sets me to thinkin'.

8. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

These pipes show how cherised they were to the civil war soldier on both sides. It was one of the few comforts they had to get them through the tough times of war.
    Even the American Indian tribes viewed smoking pipes a highly prized, personal comfort item. As it should be even for today!
    [​IMG]

Rewster66 likes this.
  9. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I can relate to that.

10. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

Me too! :toast:

11. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

Here are some more civil war pipes but these from the White Oak museum in Falmouth, VA:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pipe tamper72

pipe tamper72 Member

Interesting collection indeed. It's interesting to know that at one time pipes were made out of Goodyear rubber, before rubber tires came out

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

This is a really cool post on a neat subject. Thanks for sharing!

14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Has anyone tried smoking the clay pipes that use reed stems (i think in dispatch's last photo upper right is one of the reed versions)? I found some website that sells them, can't remember the name. They seem fairly different than traditional clays. -David

15. skaukatt

skaukatt Member

I really enjoyed that, thank you for posting!

16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Love the old clay in the last photo...the one with the cannon and cannon balls engraved on it!
    Would be cool to pull a mold off of that one.........

17. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Interesting pictures! I've seen lots of pieces of clay pipes, but never whole pipes like those. Could be because I've worked only in Yankee territory. Now you've got me searching to find more historical pipe pictures.

Clay pipes (bowls usually) are very common artifacts in historical archaeology, and they make excellent dating evidence. There are even some theoretical dating formulas based on the stem bore dimensions. Here is a writeup by one of my former professors. Another of my former teachers was able to determine that her site (Green Tree Tavern Site in St. Genevieve, MO) was a free-mason lodge and tobacco shop at some point, evidenced by the stamped pipes found there.

18. Dispatch

Dispatch Member

Here are some more pipes, these are from the
    Harrisburg, PA civil war museum I just realized I had found:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member