Smoking pure perique?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Captain Eight, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Anyone tried it?

I ordered a bag of C & D perique, just out of curiosity. It smells strongly of a Non-Cuban cigar - like no other pipe tobacco I've put my nose in. I've heard it's way too strong to smoke straight, but mate it smells good.

:)

2. NoRm

NoRm Member

Yes, I smoke it straight with some regularity. Sometimes I smoke it 50/50 with Latakia. Sometimes I blend it into whatever. I love tobacco, I am ADDICTED to nicotine (as addicted as one can get, unfortunately), and straight Perique is a fine smoke. Be warned, however, it is not for the faint of heart. Straight Perique, when the smoke is drawn into the throat but not inhaled, is something akin to smoking 3 cigarettes at once. It can totally kick your butt.

Elric XVI, Sinzalot and Johnny Dingo like this.
  3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

No thanks, I prefer to take my butt whippin's from someone I have at least a chance of getting a good lick or two in on. Pure Perique, for my chemistry, would be akin to setting myself on fire and putting myself out in a vat of hydrochloric acid. :startl:

4. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Well it smells bloody great in any case. I'm sure curiosity will get the better of me and I'll smoke a quarter bowl of it at some stage.

I don't inhale, but I do sometimes blow the last whiffs out of my nose.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Legend has it that Aleister Crowley smoked straight Perique that had been soaked in Rum.

Joe Ahearn, JustKyle2711 and User5642 like this.
  6. Brian

Brian Member

And blended 50/50 with magic mushrooms... ;-)

MikeInMaine and Wookiee like this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've done a lot of tobacco blending and the only way to know what each tobacco brings to the mix is to smoke it straight. I smoked perhaps 1/4 bowl of straight perique. I'll smoke it again right after I drink a jar of mustard or mainline chili powder.

8. Elwin

Elwin Member

I love it, but only as a 'condiment', so to speak.
    And a little goes a long way for me.

(Wasabi is great too, but I ain't gonna eat it with a spoon...)
    :)

Joe Ahearn and NativeTexan like this.
  9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

He must have liked Navy Flake too :ohyh:

Johnny Dingo and Lestrade like this.
  10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Go to your garage. Get your roll of duct tape. Get a large mixing bowl from the kitchen. Sit down in a sturdy chair. Place the mixing bowl on the floor directly in front of you. Finally, duct tape your ass to that chair. The duct tape will keep you from falling on the floor. You can probably guess what the big bowl will be used for. Good luck and let us know what the trip was like.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

11. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

This, and a few boxes of tissues won't hurt.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Go ahead an smoke perique... it's not bad at all... but it will separate the boys from the men... I think someone had a post on smoking perique awhile back... Also remember getting called moron for smoking it... all fun & games..........

NoRm likes this.
  13. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I've got to say, after that build up, this is slightly disappointing.

I've cautiously packed about 1/5th of a bowl and fired it up. I would describe it as spicy but not overwhelming. It's interesting because now I can recognise the perique twang in other blends I've tried.

This is what the native American Indians smoked, no?

It's not my favourite thing in the world, it is spicy, and I can understand why it's used as an enhancement, and not generally smoked straight, but it's not trout-slapping my arse around the room or anything.

Edit: finished now. It was only a taste and took about 7 or 8 minutes to smoke the whole lot. I would describe it as not unpleasant at all. Maybe if I smoked a full bowl, or if I inhaled (I never do), it might be a different story.

14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have tried it that way---found it VERY peppery to spicy, and do not remember the brand----bag said blending perique. It was only a small sample---wasn't bad, but more to the point of VERY pepper like as I recall.

15. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Not sure about the native American deal, since Perique traditionally only comes from a certain region in Louisiana. It would be an interesting study to put the real deal up next to the substitute that a lot of blenders use. I hear there are nuanced differences between the two. I like the flavor of Perique alright, and such reflects in some of the cigars I smoke also having a spicy and peppery note to them, but Perique tears up my sinuses, so I tend to stray away from it.

16. Preacher Pipe

Preacher Pipe Member

I just recieved an order of an ounce of perique, mainly to add to any personal mixtures but also to smoke a bowl straight. Wise or foolish, I thought that might help me develop my palate and identify this component in other blends.

First, the smell of pure perique was pungent. Not offensive, but not altogether pleasant either. It definitely smells like something that has been soaking in a barrel for most of its life. This alone nearly made me change my mind from lighting up a bowl, but I was determined.

Second, after lighting up, the flavor was far less intense than I was expecting. From the warnings of others, I fully assumed this to be a painful experience. Apart from being hard to keep light (it was moist, right out of the bag, no pre-drying time), it wasn't all that bad. Definitely peppery, and after a minute or so it hit the sinuses somewhat hard. Caused some throat irritation after about 3 minutes. Certainly not something I would smoke again, but the horror stories proved false, at least for me.

quicklime and Calvinandpipe like this.
  17. BurghBriar

BurghBriar Member

I did this once, for blending purposes, primarily. I wasn't a nic bomb, which I thought it would be, very peppery and very memorable, so I know what taste it'll add to a blend. Not really recommended, but not deadly either.

18. beercritic

beercritic Member

Not pure Perique, but someone (on this forum?) posted a recipe they called "Godless Swine."

3 parts Tambolaka
    3 parts Perique
    1 part Latakia

Pretty potent stuff & tasted surprisingly decent. I'll have to revisit the tin I have the remainder sequestered in, now that it's had several months to marry.

Russell Hartman and Johnny Dingo like this.
  19. mongo

mongo Active Member

We were doing blending at our local pipe club meetings the past two months. I got my hands on some perique, Kentucky dark fired, Virginia and Burley. I've been experimenting with various mixtures, and can say that a little perique goes a long way. Out of curiosity and half dare... I smoked a half cob's worth of perique... strong. I snorked it once. Once. Made my sinuses scream and my eyes water. I'll continue to blend it, but straight up.... not again!

20. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Now if you dry them both out and then mix them with the perique.,...........