1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Smoking with General MacArthur

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I have to order some things from MM, and I do want a longer-smoking pipe. This seems to be an ideal time to order a General, or a MacArthur. I'd like to hear from anyone who smokes either model on a regular basis. Firstly, do you feel like a darned fool smoking the thing? Secondly, how easy is it to tamp these? I suspect a smoothly burning blend, requiring minimal fiddling, would work best. Thirdly, how long have you smoked it? Is this a novelty item that soon loses its appeal? I'm not in love with the look (this will not be a walking around pipe), but I am in love with the potential function for a long-lasting smoke. The flavor must really concentrate by bowl's end.

Thanks, and,
    with a handshake,
    WK

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have both the General and the MacArthur and I'll say for me the Mac was more of a novelty thing for me, I dont care much for how it smokes compared to the General (which is one of my favorite MM right under the freehand cob). But what works and dosent work for me might be totally different to others, so on this one I'd have to say just try them both and see what you like the best, cause thats the great thing about cobs is how cheap they are.

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I agree, again, with Chambers. I have both and smoke the general more. However, last time it was smoked I got a cold, unrelated, but I have not revisited that pipe. I do however have two free hands, one natural red and the other traditionally finished, and they get smoked almost weekly. Would be more, but my rotation has gotten out of hand thank to PAD and PTM.

Get both, and if you like the general, step up and get a freehand. The Mac is only used on vacation or when trying to act silly really.

4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

+1 on the General.

I've got a friend who's got the Mac and it really doesn't smoke well. I put an 8in Walker Briar Works churchwarden stem on a General and it's been my go to pipe when I want a hour plus smoke. Pack it with a flake and you're in for a ride. It's actually about time for me to order another General, I've smoked mine so much it's patina-ed and almost starting to fall apart. :D

Happy Smoking
    Arty

P.S. I'll get a MacArthur someday just to say I've got one...
    P.P.S. I have to tamp maybe 4 or 5 times... and it's not hard... just crushing the ash on top.
    No I don't feel like a fool smoking it... I actually like it. It's not awkward and holds well in my large hands. And no, it's not novelty... I smoke a pipe a day usually... and I'll hit the General twice or thrice a week.

Pic of the Churchwarden General

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I picked up a bent General a couple of months ago, and have smoked it at least weekly since I got it. I like it a lot; it's becoming one of my favorite pipes. I haven't yet stuffed a flake in it, as my supply of flakes is a little short right now (except for 1792, which I can't handle in General-sized quantities). It makes for a great long smoke. A must for every cob afficionado, and I'd recommend it to anybody.

No personal experience with the Mac, BTW. Classic pipe, though.

Herb

6. Burner

Burner Member

I smoked my Mac for the first time today and it was excellent. Very similar to the General but more churchwardeny. These days smoking any kind of pipe marks one out as an eccentric. The Mac does it with style!

7. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I just picked up a Hackert General today. Really looking forward to smoking it!

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I know you mentioned you had it down to a general or a mac... But have you thought about a freehand? Those have nice big bowls as well and are favorites of some folks around here.

9. Whalehead King

I was wondering myself why I haven't looked at the freehand, Kiowapipe. You made me look into it and now I know why it is invisible to my radar: I don't like the price.

I also won't like it bent as much as it is. I tend to smoke while doing other things, so I put it down a lot. The freehand doesn't look freestanding.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

The General seems to want to be a sitter, but it is very delicately balanced. Mine would sit upright just fine when I got it, but the weight of a softee bit protector on the end now makes it tip backward.

11. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

You can get a freehand in the straight stem, and I know they are a bit more pricey than all the others but trust me, they are very much worth it. They are the best MM cob there is, but once again this is just my opinion and something to think on when its time to make the order.

12. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

With the churchwarden stem on a straight general, the tip of stem hits the ground perfectly with the flat bottom... It's a wonderful sitter.

13. Whalehead King

I went with the General. I also bought a hardwood and a few replacement stems. I can't see buying filters from MM at one box at a time. I'll have to poke around the drug stores to see if I can find them more conveniently.

Cheers,
    WK

14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You could just try it without the filter too and see if you need to bother. I go filterless in my cobs.

15. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

nix the filters...

16. Whalehead King

Having a filter was the drawing point. I've been enjoying using filters recently because the innards need very little maintenance. I am a lazy man. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm looking forward to giving the General a run for my money. Any additional insights are always welcome.

Cheers,
    WK

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I have both a straight and a bent General, and they are my Saturday and Sunday morning pipes. I use the bent General for tobies that have Latakia, and the straight General for tobies without. They make great morning pipes, when I can kick back with a big mug of coffee and just enjoy the early morning peace and quiet. (And as hectic as my weekday mornings are, those weekend morning smokes are little slices of heaven).

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I hope you can find the filters easily, WK. They ship with a Medico paper filter in place, but the Grabows fit as well. Seems like drug stores and discount smoke shops would have them if you don't have a good pipe store around.

19. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Herb's right- they sell them in almost any smoke shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.