• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

smooth vs rusticated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Dingo

Writer of wrongs
I usually like a smooth finish for my pipes. But every once in a while, I'll see a rusticated pipe (real rustication, not the carving you see on some Dr. Grabow pipes) and I'll say, "Damn, that's a nice pipe." I like sandblasting, too. Then you have stuff like the steam- and gear-punk pipes that Nate makes that combine the two textures. Done right, the contrast is gorgeous. But the first "nice" pipe I get is gonna be a smooth finish.

StoneGiant

Am I wrong in my supposition that heavily rusticated pipes are easier to handle when hot? I've only a few pipes, but my rustys seem cooler to the touch.... or maybe I'm all wet [theres been enough rain down here to saturate the noggin]
:eek:
I agree, every smooth finish I have is hotter than a rusticated finish. Maybe a rusticated surface dissapates heat better than a smooth one? A science major I am not. (also replied before reading rest of thread, reading on in suspense to see if anyone has a better answer)

Tony Malerich

StoneGiant said:
I agree, every smooth finish I have is hotter than a rusticated finish. Maybe a rusticated surface dissapates heat better than a smooth one? A science major I am not. (also replied before reading rest of thread, reading on in suspense to see if anyone has a better answer)
I can't quite explain it concisely but I'll try my best - so your pipe is getting hot. Given that rustications often aren't THAT deep, the whole outer surface of the pipe will be more-or-less evenly heated. Because of the texture, you're actually coming in contact with less of the bowl so there are fewer places to transfer the heat to your fingers.

David, that finish is pretty hokey compared to the nicer carved finishes of days yore. Find a nice Ruff Root on an old Sasieni and you'll see a huge difference.

Hugely rusticated pipes with seriously craggy textures have more surface area than a smooth pipe. They might feel a bit cooler because of that.
My 2 coolest pipes are blasted (Stanwell), and rusticated to where it looks blasted Sav), and I suspect this may be part of why they do.

I prefer rusticated and blasts for smoking but I must say beautifully figured grain on a smoothie [particularly 360 birdseye] is a wonder to behold.

Status
Not open for further replies.