1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Snagged a Hercules Bulldog on Ebay...What to do now...?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ArmedOctopus, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I snagged this just moments ago.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HERCULES-JU...fc9B7H8ADBqAyYPHjSWmo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

My wife's going to kill me. :startl:

But my question is this.....I dont have all the restoration know-how that many of you guys do...So just judging by these pics, what should I do to clean it all up? How do I clean the outside with all those nooks and crannies?

There is some serious buildup around the rim. I am thinking about sanding it down and just applying olive oil so I have a nice smooth rim.

Any advice or pointers?

Old Codger and Tsalagi44 like this.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Just send it to me then tell the wife that you donated the $18.00 bucks to a worthy cause. :punk: Then run.

rondel65 and Tsalagi44 like this.
  3. ArmedOctopus

Lol.....I wouldnt even bother going home....

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Thats not a bad price. And it doesnt look to bad either. I would ream it out, and if it tastes a bit ghosty, give it the old salt treatment. As for the rim, you can just get some very fine gritted sand paper, or a paper towel and some saliva, and just scrub...or, if you like living on the edge, use a dull pen knife and scrape...

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Good score there. My $.02...on all of my estate pipes...I wipe the outside of the pipe good with a t-shirt/rag and olive oil. The stems I soak in alcohol (whatever I have on hand). The last time, it was Canadian whiskey, lol.

If I were going to do another one though, I'd get a pipe retort and hit the easy button (as far as cleaning out the inside of the pipe goes).

6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

+1 to Coda's suggestion. This pipe does not appear to require any major sugery. Looks like it's a big muthaflyer, too.

7. ArmedOctopus

Hmmm....I believe this pipe is made by Savinelli but it has no Sav markings. Weird. Must be a second or something. Works for me though. Regular Hercules pipes go for about $90.

I love that style bulldog too.

8. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

You can use a soft toothbrush and some mild soapy water on the pebbled exterior. it might take awhile but it will clean the rim too. A non-scratch scrubby with light pressure might be good. Dry it and wax it lightly. Or not. 000 grade steel wool will do the rim faster, but may take some color off too. Better than sanding. You should only sand rims that have been really banged up. Smoking will darken the rim pretty quickly. I'd thoroughly clean the shank and stem and maybe lightly sand the inside of the bowl. That's my SOP.

Nice lookin' pipe!:thu:

James1956 likes this.
  9. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

Dude that pipe is amazing for that price. I clicked on it expecting you to have paid $100+ from your panic, doesn't your wife know a good bargain when she sees one? :puffy:

Anyway I'm with xrundog on the procedure. Extremely light sanding of the bowl interior using a reamer or something that approximate diameter should get you on point. Everclear on a pipe cleaner a few times through should undo anything internally. I wouldn't mess with the rim too much, it looks ok from the photo.

That stem is bitchin'

10. ArmedOctopus

I do love the stem. It's what reeled me in. I will have to post pics here when it comes in. I will give it a shot at cleaning it up.

11. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

By the way a Hercules is a Savinelli comparable to Ser Jacopo's Maxima, meaning you got a great deal and it'll smoke perfect. No Savinelli markings but comparable to a secondary line

12. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

Very nice pipe.

I think I'd work that bargain angle.

13. Terry292

Terry292 Member

That looks like a lucite stem to me. If so, it's probably a replacement. All of my Hercules pipes have vulcanite stems. It certainly doesn't detract from the pipe in any way, and a lucite stem is easier to clean, in my opinion. They don't oxidize as vulcanite does. Just a good scrubbing of the inside of the stem with pipe cleaners and alcohol (I use 91% isoprophyl, myself), a light rubdown of the exterior to sanitize it, and you'll be good to go.

As the others have said, the bowl looks to be in good condition overall. Shouldn't take much elbow grease to get a great smoking pipe. That one should be a 510 EX shape. The shape numbers and the Italy on the shank are the only indicators, but the Hercules series are Savinelli products. They're just not labeled with the Savinelli name, sort of like the Captain Pete pipes from Peterson.

Congratulations. You got a great deal there.

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'd clean and buff it for you but I'm going to be out of town next week . It's not in bad shape at all , it's a very nice pipe ! It just needs cleaning and buffing . The buffing would only take me 3 minutes , literally . If you ever can score a damn good buffer for a reasonable price .. buy it ! It's such a plus to have

15. ArmedOctopus

I have a ryobi tool that is essentially a dremel, but it came with a bunch of parts that I have no idea what they do. Perhaps I could just snag a dremel buffer to use with it?

16. ruffinogold

I would think you could snag an old grinder and put the buffing wheels on it . At least that would give you something to work with a bit larger than the dremel .. those things are tiny and I couldn't imagine it .

17. Terry292

Terry292 Member

I'd be careful with Dremel-type buffers. They usually are too fast and tend to burn the surface of the briar. The recommended speed for a buffing wheel is no faster than 1750 RPM. Dremels operate at a higher RPM.

Old Codger likes this.
  18. ArmedOctopus

So I get that I can use a toothbrush or something on the rough exterior, but what liquid type solution should I use?

19. ruffinogold

I looked at bench grinders and theyre moving @ 3600 .. lol :eek: .... you can get motors out of dryers , though they kick at first , or other appliance type motors , and there's stuff out there [ at like a Grainger type store ] to where you can rig almost anything on them . I'll take some pics of the motors I use tomorrow and if I can remember what they came out of I'll , of course , write it down . If anything the pictures can give you an idea about how it's done and the type stuff to get . I didn't spend much at all on motors . Used motors and band saws are cheap . I carve with a router with the handles taken off strapped on a table with a burr , which in the router is spinning at 33000 rpm . You can rig a pipe making workshop for under 300 bucks if you take a little time and look around

20. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Mix some hand soap with water. No exact percentage. You just want to cut the dirt. Not make a lot of suds. Dremels are too small and use to many rpm. I use my drill press with a large buffing wheel at something like 1200 rpm. With the rough finish on that pipe you can probably get away with not buffing or waxing.

krusty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.