So a guy walks into a tobacconist shop...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Brian, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Member

So I walked into my local B&M tobacconist shop on the way home from work last night, minding my own business, figured I would grab some pipe cleaners and another can of Zippo fluid ... and there on the shelf was a tin of Dunhill Flake and a tin of SG Full Virginia Flake.

Well, you can only imagine what happened after that. :groucho:

BTW, it's my first tin of Dunhill Flake since they changed from Dunhill Light Flake, and about a year or so since I had my last tin of Light Flake. Is it my imagination? Or do the flakes seem a little darker looking, and smell a little more "full." Still looks and smells yummy! Going out to smoke my first flake after I get done with this post.

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Brian, wish I had the opportunity
    to smoke the Light Flake back when.
    Love the new rendition of it now,
    though. Enjoy! Don't forget, you're
    not "in" unless it's GAF.

dp

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

So, how did that smoke go?

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You wasted your money on that FVF. :yes:

Like Snake, I didn't have the pleasure of 'Light Flake'. However my 'taste notes' seem to mesh with what the old TR reviews stated, so I think it must be close. Enjoy!

-Kyle

5. nightstand

nightstand New Member

As a flake lover to another, great find!

I've been doing my ordering online. I have no ideal what my tobacconist carries.......besides cigars of course......

6. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I wish my local tobacconist had the Flake, they only have the English blends, which I don't do right now. If I could find FVF locally I would be quite happy. Nice Finds.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Lucky dog! :thumb:

8. Brian

Brian Member

To be honest, I only had one tin of Dunhill Light Flake, but it will always have fond memories for me. I remember distinctly thinking it smelled like fig newton cookies.

The new Dunhill Flake is very good. My tin was pricey though at $15.25 at my local shop. The flavor seemed a little more "full" matured and grassy, and not quite as toasty and sweet as I remembered. I still recognized it. Those changes were only slight. I have to qualify this with only smoking 1 bowl in 1 pipe so far.

Very good stuff. I still think it is an excellent flake!

9. Brian

Brian Member

Why do people call "Dunhill Flake" GAF? What does that stand for?

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Gorilla Ass Flake I believe (and not sure why).
    Just found and picked up some GAF at my local B&M a couple weeks ago and enjoy it.
    Think I just decided what I will be smoking tonight! :thankyou:

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I recently had a tin of both open at the same once and snapped a photo - here's the picture.

Yes, it tasted a little fuller (in a good way) and was a shade darker, noting the older Light Flake was from 2006. JRCigar sells it for 10.95 (plus shipping).

This release was once of the nicer things the Dunhill brand folks have swung in years. I guess one of them managed to get his head out of his... whatever. Probably an accident but, still well done. :goodjob:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.