So many tobaccos, so little time....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Longrifle3006, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Just for fun I decided to run some numbers....

TobaccoReviews.com lists 3623 tobacco entries in their database.
    I'm figuring about 10% of those are unavailable tobaccos (yeah it's a SWAG but it's the best I can do)
    So that leaves about 3261 tobaccos to sample...

If you smoke just 1 sample tobacco per day.....

....it will take you 8.9 YEARS to get through the database...

time to get busy, people... :drinkin:

....and people wonder why TAD happens.....

2. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

I'm on my way. So far the last two were horrible so now on to the next, just no more "florals". :thumb:

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

To carry the math further, using another SWAG estimate of $15.00 per 2 oz. sample, you'd better plan on explaining $48,915.00 to the little missus.
    I'm a coward. I think I'll just sample the ones I run across and let someone else try for the record.
    Dan

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

How many would it be reduced to if you removed the 1 & 2 star average rated tobaccos? I'd rather not test one that everyone says, "tastes like gym socks smell". :thumb:

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey some of those 1 or 2 star blends may not be so bad .... but i hear ya w/ the gym sock thing . It's been killing me lately , the amount of blends out there , theres so damn many . Most blends are not bad ... so even with the bad blends out youre still left w/ a huge number. Lets pray the government dosent screw this up for us .

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Each of us pipers are carving our own trail within or through those 4000-ish 'baccys. Amazing! Some of us "homestead" and are just happy with 2-3 different tobys and just go between the two or layer 'em. While others have an incredible selection of different toby and same but from different maker. Wow! It's all so cool that we can have that sort of choice...and luxury! :thumb:

My only suggestion for anyone regarding the amount of different 'baccys out there is:

get small jars!

Oh, and Cellar! Cellar! Cellar! to quote Mr Gerry. :flowers:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

There are so many tobaccos out there, I try steer clear of the "not so bad". I figure I can fill my cellar with tobaccos I really enjoy and skip the rest and still have a large selection. I have a 1 - 10 rating system currently. A 7 is a pretty decent toby that I will finish what is in stock, but I don't reorder. It takes an 8 or higher to make it to reorder in bulk status.

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Hear hear! Thankfully, through the generosity of some fellow members, I continue to have the opportunity to sample many blends across a wide spectrum. There's no way I could get through all of those on tobaccoreviews.com, but I'm lucky to be able to try many of the "main players".

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Similar system here!
    I give 0 to 5 points for flavor, 0 to 3 points for burn quality, and 0 to 2 points for nicotine strength https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohyeah.gif

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Dude , thats the best break down I've seen yet ! Flavor is what counts most and having most points. Etc Etc ... Brilliant ... I'm going to think about this awhile and use it . It's perfectly logical ... good job :velho:

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

With between 65/70 different tobaccos in my rotation, I have just about .02% of the available blends. Now to pick up the other 99.98% !!! :velho: :xd: :2:

12. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

That is great, except I couldn't care less about nicotine content. I would probably assign my 2 points to roomnote. Though not as specifically, I have been using a 10 point system myself. I like so many different tobaccos so much, that I only reorder if it is 9 or higher and maybe order an eight on a rare occasion for memories sake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.