So, uhhhh, anyone baking a tin?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Picked up a pair of tins and figured I'd be a bit outside o'the box and put one in a parked car and leave it. Few months, maybe more, I'll go and open it along with the sister tin that's been in a cool (A/C) environment. Risky? I don't see where it could really hurt anything. Temps won't get above 175 probably closer towards 160 or even lower. Anyway, anyone do this? I'm seriously considerin'

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

2. Puff The Magic

Another 'speriment would be for canning jars from the same pound or half pound. Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe I should do both? Lemmme tink on dis.

Ed Puff!

3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Seems plausible. Let us know how it turns out.

4. Twan013

Twan013 Member

good luck with that! I baked my tobacco in the car for about a day and a half. definitely took out the moisture, but it was a pouch, instead of an unopened tin or jar. I would imagine the seal breaking loose (melting from the heat, or whatever, causing the air to escape and the same thing would happen, especially since its over several months.. Or maybe it would ferment and you'd have some kickass moonshine tobacco with the side affects of marijuana or something..

(classic high school line) "i'll pay you ten dollars to smoke this"

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I made a lot of spending money that way :iiam:

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

7. Puff The Magic

Thanks Dondi! Greg is "one who knows" for sure. I WAS planning on doing it to two tins of a pure VA and two jars of a Va-Per (one of each as a "control") the others going into the mild "auto-stoving" but now that I've read those pearls Greg wrote, I'm not gonna do it. I know the toby is great and I know it will get better over time the right way. So, why take the risk of taking great toby down a notch or two (or several) when I know it's that good to begin with?

I guess one of the reasons why pipers have noticed (and I too have noticed the same effect) that toby left in the car (your pouch/opened tin/etc.) somehow gets better afterwards is probably due to the drying effect of the cars heat. I prefer my toby a bit drier than when it comes directly from the tin/jar and feel it tastes better, surely lights better. So, in this case, I'll just let 'em age properly and smoke it knowing that it's the best it can be at the moment vs. I ruined a whole tin of some great toby! Shame on me!

So, I've chickened out. Yeah, my sphincter slammed shut when I read Gregs commentary. Pearls of wisdom for sure. Thanks Dondi! You saved some toby from potential ruin. You da Man!

Ed Puff!

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've never done this but if tobacco behaves like other fermenting substances i'd majorly recommend against it. raising the temperature from 55 to 75 on a batch of mead will halve the fermentation time and make a batch of complete **** mead, reason being the higher temperature makes different microbes more active than the ones you WANT doing the gruntwork and changes the way the ones you want are metabolyzing stuff. it gets pretty funky and tastes pretty awful. i suspect the same is true of tobacco.

also, if you want any kind of aging to occur, about the hottest you can conceivably let it get is 110f. most germs and yeasts start dying around 115.

9. Puff The Magic

I'm gonna try to paraphrase Dondi's link to G.L.Peases commentary on "mild in-tin stoving":

It does make the toby more mellow and causes it to become more sweet to some extent but what it does that's interpreted as bad is that it makes it more monochromatic, more "boring" and completely melds all of the flavors into a single flavor. Completely removes any character the particular toby had or would have had if left to age at room temps. He strongly recommended not to do it. It allows some fermentation to occur but at different rates or in some cases, slower so what you get is something sort of new but no longer with the same character(s) of the original toby if left alone. In some cases, it ruins it. In the example, Greg felt that it completely ruined some 10yr old Odyssey.

I was gonna do it to two tins of SG FVF! Decided to just put the tins to rest for a nice long nap. Besides, I'm not really sure I want the toby stoved with the SG "paper liner" and whatever coatings/sealing compound all to get heated up and start giving off crazy gasses that I don't want near my toby. I'd rather fart on an opened tin rather than do that! Ha Ha! So, I'm a big chickin! But my toby is SAFE!

:P
    Ed Puff!

10. Stoked

Stoked Member

Well, Mr. Pease knows what he's talking about. I vouch for his assessment. I've done some "improper" aging on a tin of Ashton Pebblecut. I stored it in a closet where temperatures approached 100F in the summertime. The tin I just opened was stored this way for about 7 years. Note that it was only in the summer where it got this hot... What I found is exactly as he described. The toby is very mellow indeed, and yes it is also very monochromatic. I wouldn't say that it's ruined, but it's not the same stuff that I used to smoke, and I'm not enjoying it like I used to. So I would say yes, heat during a prolonged aging is not a good thing. If I had the chance to do it over, I would not have stored this tin this way.

11. Puff The Magic

Oh, yeah, he used the analogy of a soup. If you over cook it, all of the ingredients turn to mush and it all is just all mushed together, no individual flavors coming out as you get to them. Cooked just right, you get chunks of beef, chicken, or whatever, you taste and chew the carrots, celery, potato, and parsnips, etc. "individually" rather than all blended into a monochromatic uneventful "mush". I know toby is NOT soup but the analogy made sense from a man who knows. Thanks again Dondi! You save some 4 star from turning into a "no-star". I owe you!

:bow:
    Ed Puff!

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

You're welcome bro!

13. Stoked

Stoked Member

I love the soup analogy! :thumb:

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've never baked a tin, but I bake a bowl several times a week. It didn't start out as intentional so much as necessary. I didn't want to take my pipe in to work loaded with tobacco, so I left it in the cupholder of my pickup. No, the pipe was not in direct sunlight. I have dark tinted windows & put up a reflector screen in the front windshield while parked.

All the tobaccos tasted a little different after being in the warm truck for 3-4 hours, but one had a big change. Special Blend from The Tinder Box is so smooth, mellow and tasty after a 3 hour bake in the bowl. Wow! It has all the same flavors and nuances as fresh out of the jar, but without the heat and bite. I really like this blend after lunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.