So What Makes the Magic Work?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

So I was sitting here in my smoking chair, filling a Falcon Istanbul with some SWR. Nothing really special or unusual about that - just something that I do just about every night. Then I sparked it up, and the flavor seemed unusually good. It was just the usual sweet and nutty, yet also slightly sour flavor I get from good old SWR, but for some reason it seemed especially flavorful even though this pouch is almost a week old (and almost gone, for that matter). I then lost myself in clouds of thick smoke while I tried to get my arms around what could have driven a young man in Connecticut to commit such a depraved act. I suspect that I might never get my arms around it, but that's a topic for a different thread. Anyways...

My little peanut brain ponders many thoughts, and often embarks on pointless journies of discovery. This is just par for the course for me, but I pondered why it is that some people get absolutely no satisfaction from a pipe full of tobacco while others find deep comfort in the whole affair. I've partaken of tobacco in just about every form, but no other form of the weed gives me as much enjoyment as when imbibed through a pipe. But why?

I can't speak for others, but as far as I am concerned there is something about the ritual of selecting a pipe and tobacco, then filling said pipe and lighting said tobacco, then slowly sipping/puffing away that calms me and gets the thought process (or wool gathering) rolling. Why this is I do not know for sure, I just know that it is. I'm sure that the flavor has something to do with it, but I get more satisfaction from one dimensional blends like SWR than I do from blends like 10 Russians. I'm pretty Freudian when it comes to evaluating my motives, so I'm sure that I'll consider this again.

But I'm curious about why pipe smoking keeps the rest of you at it.

2. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

Pondering, I'll get back to you...

3. Artistik

Artistik Member

As of now I don't sit and ponder much, maybe I will more often when I retire in a few months??? And, I don't want to sit and ponder on the different attributes of complex toby blends. I like my toby to taste good and simple. I primarily smoke CH, SW, Half & Half (older version), McC's #5100 Red Cake and Altadis Edgeworth match. I mix that up with the occasional Boswell Aromatics. I think the most complex blend I smoke is Boswell's Bear Blend with sweet Va, caramel topping and a touch of Latakia. I am a long time cig smoker and a cig does not have much flavor imho, just a quick nic hit while on break and certainly feeds a habit. The taste of the aforementioned tobys keeps me at it and, when I smoke my pipe going and coming from work and at home during the evening, I often wonder why I smoke cigs. I think when I retire, cigs will mostly be a thing of the past.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My theory is that a complex blend would require too much of your attention - attention that is better utilized pondering lifes issues, uncertainties and joys.

Rewster66 and RTOdhner like this.
  5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

We are not meant to know how the magic happens. We are meant to appreciate it.

6. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I guess I can pretty much run the gamut. I can easily feel very much like you did and just want to sip and reflect on a simple smoke like SWR or ERR or even Uhle's #00, all have great flavor but can be enjoyed without having to think about it. But I am also very guilty of craving something much more complex and great aged tobacco's do that for me. I can get lost in a very old tobacco and my reflections will be on the smoke and the smoke alone. On those occasions I don't want to have to think about chores or current events, just how great the tobacco tastes and trying to identify the different nuances of that blend. So I guess my point, if there is one here, is that I am a moody old SOB! :ohyh:

dwaugh, RTOdhner and dmkerr like this.
  7. Snookman

Snookman Member

"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton

Mount Mandolin and RTOdhner like this.
  8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

My smoking days are Fri/Sat/Sun. Mon-Thurs are 10 hr work days, and I commute 1 hr each way to work.
    So when those days roll around the solace and contemplation from my pipes is a guarentee. I've got many tobacco's & pipes to choose from, but usually grab a tried & true blend like Squadron Leader, which is for me is the steak & potatoes of the tabac world. The magic is the end of the work week and time for a fresh bowl.

RTOdhner likes this.
  9. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Gonna keep it simple. For me, its about being able to sit in my chair, porch, deck or wherever and go completely brain dead for about 20 minutes. Only been smoking a pipe for about 8 months though, so, go figure.

RTOdhner, Imrandy and JRobert like this.
  10. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

A fun topic to ponder while smoking a pipe is how much wonderful variety there is in the leaves of just one plant. If I get bored with that, then I could always ponder the beauty of the briar grain, the artistry of a carved meer, or the brilliant simplicity of a corncob. There really is a whole lot of everyday magic in the world, from the soothing pleasure of tobacco smoke to the purr of a happy cat to the wagging tail and loving look of a dog to watching your child grow into a man (or woman as the case may be) as I look at my son's senior picture that is right next to his newborn picture on my desk.

dBear, Preacher1611, Buckshot and 5 others like this.
  11. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Someone posted a long time ago that smoking a pipe is a deliberate "screw you" to the pace and expectations of our frenetic world. It is one way in which we can become thoughtful spectators and observers of life (and often of self), and stop participating in the madness. A meditation. A sloooowing down.

I believe in my case there is some deep truth to that.

When I was a kid my pipe-smoking uncle told me: "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    The jury is still out on me, but I look thoughtful anyway.

Preacher1611, rlucas, dwaugh and 5 others like this.
  12. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

When i get home i get out one of my favorite baccos and select a pipe and fill and then just sit back and reflect on the day. Some days are good some are not i can tell by how fast i smoke my first non work pipe.

13. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

For sure, my response to the pipe ritual can run the gamut from ho-hum to awesome, depending on mood, circumstances, pipe-tobacco combo, temp outside, and a ton of other stuff, but you're right, when it all aligns, it's one for the book. I tend to get in the "zone" much more when a good friend is smoking with me. Opens doors of discussion that allow you to get lost in thought. Something about it that's extra enjoyable sometimes, and I'm glad the existential pipe smokes don't happen all the time, as I probably wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much.

Jussto and RTOdhner like this.
  14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

True words of wisdom.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Can't say I really follow most of this thread. I smoke a pipe because it makes me look handsomer.

16. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I thought I was the only one!

17. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Good grief !

Stonewall likes this.
  18. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I'll get back to you,still smoking.

PipeWife likes this.
  19. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...must be a darn good pipe! :ohyh:

20. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

In addition to culture, ritual, and flavour contemplation is a fundamental feature of pipe smoking. Once in a while, when the planets align, it gets super comfy.....two or three consecutive bowls.

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.