1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

So whats the deal with clay pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by brunchman, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunchman

brunchman Member

Hey guys,

So iv been on the forum awhile now and it seems like no ones talking about clay pipes. Why?

As far as i know there are 5 main materials used to make pipes: briar, meerchaum, cob, metal and clay. Am i right in saying clay is a poor man's meerchaum? If so i may get one :)

But seriously i heard these little delicate guys smoked well, as good as cobs with no break in period or ghosting. Shouldnt clay pipes be.....well more popular? Was looking at buying one from my online tobyist.

2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I have three clays and they smoke pretty well. I think my biggest problem with my clay pipes is that I can't clench them in my teeth and be hands free. Other than that I like them. Oh, and they tend to have small bowls which is a bit of a draw back too.

3. brunchman

brunchman Member

Why cant you clench them?

4. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I suppose you could clench them but first of all clay is delicate and breaks easily, and second, I just don't like the feel of biting down on clay. It has a gritty feel and no give like vulcanite, or lucite, or any plastic/hardened rubber kind of stem.

5. Iain

Iain Active Member

I smoke a clay pipe often, I clench it too but that's not for everyone, and I wonder if its going to damage my teeth :oops:
    They do have a totally neutral flavour good for tasting the tobacco fully but like a meer smoke one blend in it a lot and it can actually ghost, you would have to keep the bowl well cleaned to avoid that.

Jammer likes this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Clay pipes are a sound investment for several reasons: They smoke wonderfully, first of all. Secondly, they tend not to ~ghost~ from other tobacco flavors (although I wonder about some SG blends, even in clays). They are very inexpensive, and deliver pure flavor like no tomorrow.

What I questioned regarding clays, initially, was the possibility that clays smoke too hot, possibly having an effect on the quality of the smoking experience, e.g. overheating or charring the tobacco.

What I discovered after smoking them for that last 6-7 months, was that a clay pipe just may be the best starter pipe to master, as it sets a course for all other variations or methods of delivery. For example, I smoke my clay in a manner where I keep my forefinger wrapped around the stem at the base of the bowl, if at any time I find that bowl too hot to touch, I'm smoking too hard, too fast.

When I can smoke my clay so slowly and deliberately that it delivers cool, and creamy flavor, with ever so light plumes of smoke from the bowl, I am smoking properly and successfully. And the overall experience is superb. Pure pleasure. Pure flavor.

I have three clays now. As far as I'm concerned, as inexpensive as they are, one should have a few, or half dozen. They are outstanding devices for the delivery of tobacco, and one of the best means to learn with.

A Clay shouldn't be seen as a substitute for other types of pipes, simply another alternative. Get one! Seriously...

Jammer likes this.
  7. Iain

Iain Active Member

Condor ghosted mine but it was much easier to exorcise out of the clay then a briar.

Baccy Bert likes this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Same here. It became less noticeable after a couple of bowls. Although Condor is a ghost welcome in my house. You wouldn't happen to know the best e-tailer Condor over there, would ya?

Jammer likes this.
  9. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

[​IMG]

I can clench my frankenclay...

The cob bowl with the clay stem smokes like a champ as well.

Clay pipes smoke very nice. Too bad they break easily...especially if you are a clumsy oaf like me.

Jammer likes this.
  10. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I like my clay pipes, they smoke great, and keep the bacci flavor true.
    I got a couple trade pipe bowls and mated them with reed stems, no problem clenching them.
    [​IMG]
    By smokingmetal at 2012-05-02

11. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have 2 clays and I think they smoke great. No fuss, no gurgle and pure tobacco taste. I don't clench, so they are great.

12. Iain

Iain Active Member

I only really use Greens of Leeds and they won't ship Tobacco out of the UK due to "Card Restrictions"

13. brunchman

brunchman Member

I dont think any UK retailer can sell to US customers O_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.