So yeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Josh

Last week I posted that all I wanna do is smoke PA in a cob. While I think I always will love that combo and return to it often, I had to revisit some of my briars and tins. I've realized that I never took the time to properly break in my briars. So I took a no name "made in Italy" stamped straight tapered billiard and smoked half bowls of PA for a few days. This got the cake in the heel and bottom half of the pipe to equal the top half. Then I had some MacB navy flake. Hmmm.... Pretty good. Liked it even more in this crappy briar than in my cobs. Then last night I grabbed the MacB Mixture (Scottish Blend) that I thought was so-so. OH MY DID THAT HIT THE SPOT!! Sweet, spicy, no bite. Just plain yummy.

So yeah, I am still a noob. Bouncing all over the place. From one extreme to another. Such a great hobby we have. So many options and flavors. Happy that my cheap briars aren't a total loss. They will have to do until I can slowly replace them one pipe at a time with better smokers.

Looking at maybe a kilarney series peterson. Sure like the looks of those bent bulldogs (80s). Probably something in the 50 to 75 dollar range. My birthday is in a couple weeks and if I am a good boy, I may be able to sweet talk my wife into letting me pick up a pipe and a pound of the MacB Mixture...

Deckard

Mr. Josh said:
So yeah, I am still a noob. Bouncing all over the place. From one extreme to another. Such a great hobby we have. So many options and flavors. Happy that my cheap briars aren't a total loss. They will have to do until I can slowly replace them one pipe at a time with better smokers.

Looking at maybe a kilarney series peterson. Sure like the looks of those bent bulldogs (80s). Probably something in the 50 to 75 dollar range. My birthday is in a couple weeks and if I am a good boy, I may be able to sweet talk my wife into letting me pick up a pipe and a pound of the MacB Mixture...
I wouldn't replace your cheap briars. I have a few Stanwells, Petersons, Bjarnes and Comoys, but I still find uses for the cheap pipes I bought as a novice. Sometimes you want a smaller bowl, or a beater pipe to bring hiking or fishing or just keep in your pocket, and besides some of those cheap ones are pretty good smokers to boot.

If you're looking in the $50-70 range I'd suggest looking at Stanwell, they're the best value under $100 IMO. Great mechanics, great smokers.

user0003

Deckard said:
.....If you're looking in the $50-70 range I'd suggest looking at Stanwell, they're the best value under $100 IMO. Great mechanics, great smokers.
I'd have to go with a Peterson for that money, great pipe and built a little more rugged than the others.

Boomer-Z

Hello,

I am fairly new to pipe smoking and started with a cheap briar. I picked up a few other pipes on ebay cheap. I didn't seem to find anything that "felt" like I should be smoking out of it. Then I found Peterson. This is just my opinion, but all my Peterson's smoke well. I have the following:

Kapet 68
Aran 408
Rocky Donagal straight billiard
Cara sandblaste black b11

I love them all. The look, the feel, and the quality of the smoke. I don't think you could go wrong with one. But.....I probably sound biased.

Z

Deckard

Boomer-Z said:
Hello,

I am fairly new to pipe smoking and started with a cheap briar. I picked up a few other pipes on ebay cheap. I didn't seem to find anything that "felt" like I should be smoking out of it. Then I found Peterson. This is just my opinion, but all my Peterson's smoke well. I have the following:

Kapet 68
Aran 408
Rocky Donagal straight billiard
Cara sandblaste black b11

I love them all. The look, the feel, and the quality of the smoke. I don't think you could go wrong with one. But.....I probably sound biased.

Z
I recently purchased a pair of Kapet Petersons and I agree: they both smoke great. I know its the cheapest finish Peterson makes, but I love the feel in my hand and its so dark and rough I don't have to worry about charring the rim of the bowl a bit. And together they didn't even add up to $85 so great value for money.

The aran finish is lovely too, my favorite pipe at the moment is an aran bent dublin.

Status
Not open for further replies.