1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Soapy pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Unforgivin, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

An old briar I have has a hint of soap in it. I tested with different weeds and pipes, but this one is the only one with it. It's an old pipe that was a gift from a friend that found it in an antique shop. I took Alkeehol to the whole thing before I smoked it to make sure it was clean.

Odd thing is you don't get the soapy taste till it's down to half a bowl.

Any ideas? Should I clean the bowl down to the bare wood and start over?

It's a non filter pipe with what I believe is a vulcanite stem. :roflmao:

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Seems like it happens when enough moisture has been built up in the pipe so there's probably some gunk in the bottom of the bowl or inside the shank that's reacting with the moisture.

Try reaming the bottom of the bowl and also taking a wire brush to the shank's interior.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Chances are Dondi'll be right - he usually is!

In the unlikely event that doesn't do it, there's something in the back of my mind from the dim and distant past that one old British tobacco always left me with a soap like taste ( cannot remember its name ) - if a good cleaning won't shift this, try a few pipes of 5 Brothers if you can lay hands on some and if that doesn't work salt and alcohol is the final resort,

Good luck

Gerry

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I bet it's the previous owners tobacco. I've been chasing "soap" out of a Caminetto for 6 months plus. Salt/alcohol, 5 bros, the whole 9 yards. Just when I think that I have it beat, I get another taste.

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

When all else fails Mike, just send it to Walker for the ozone treatment!

6. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

You know I never gave him a thought, even after knowing he did this! D'OH!

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Yeah, this thing isn't like any of my others. It just smells....Old. Not so much bad as old.
    Probably used to burn a combo of horse **** and hay in it!

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

5 Bros huh? I've heard the name mentioned here but don't believe I've ever seen it for sale...or at least don't remember it. I may give it a try. Thanks Gerry.

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

It has a very short shank on it so last time I cleaned it I took a new battery terminal cleaner after it. Worked fantastic. But I was never able to clean the bottom of the bowl as good as I would have liked. I guess that'll be next.

Thank you gents! :groucho:

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi The Five Brothers tip was given to me by the legendary Morleysohn who rarely posts anywhere these days but whose knowledge was second to none. 5 bowls of it will clear just about anything including a Condor Ghost.

Five Brothers is a strange one - it's bone dry and looks like something out of a coir mattress. From the taste of it you'd swear you were smoking a straight virginia but in fact it's a burley which should be tasteless unless doctored which 5 Brothers isn't. By the way it has reprtedly the highest nicotine content of anything on the planet....not that that counts for much (he lied!)

Rich at 4Noggins stocks it - I recommend it for burning in any new pipe and turning the pipe mellow in two days too,

Best to all

Gerry

12. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

COOL! Looks and works a little like a mini still! Thank you! :cheers:

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Good deal. I was there just the other day (online) but of course wasn't looking for it. Thanks again Gerry. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.