Solani 633 VF with Perique and aged burley

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Happy saturday to all,

So theres a small yahoo group for pipe smokers in my area and a guy is giving up 3 tins of aged burley flake and 2 tins of vir flake with perique. Ill be meeting him this week to get the tins.

This will be a great opertunity for me to try out burley and flakes. My only flake that i have is SG chocolate flake and it hasnt been to fun. and im looking forward to tasting the nutty taste of burley.

What do you guys think of these two choices ?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Go for it. If you don't like ABF, burley probably isn't for you. The 633 is very good as well. Go for it. :toast:

Mount Mandolin and David Emond like this.
  3. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

Very nice. Fine tobaccos. Silver flake is also excellent if you get a chance. I will suggest a little dry time on the ABF. And you will have to transfer to different storage after that. The tins IMO aren't ment for storage say over a week.

David Emond likes this.
  4. David Emond

Yes i read on t-review that the tins dont seal and there is a plastic bag that does not reseale after. I will move them right away to jars.
    Im very happy about this, solani has been on my "to try list".

5. David Emond

Thanks, I dont think there is burley in frog on the town but i did notice a nutty flavor from time to time and i very much liked that so if burley is as or more nutty then what i tasted in the frog then i will like it for sure. Plus i have 2 cobs waiting for that burley.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nope, no burley in FOTT but thanks for calling me on my silly comment. There's more to burley than ABF. It's a good representation but it's far from the only burley around. Many are different. ABF seems to me to be more of the earthy, chocolatey variety than the nutty. When I think of nutty, I think SWR and some others.

Give it a go - it's very worth a try. But if you don't like it, it's very tradeable.

ruffinogold likes this.
  7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Yeah, I agree. ABF is not the nutty variety of burley as much as others. It's a very interesting tobacco, actually, in that I've honestly never had a burley like it. It definitely tastes aged. You want fantastic, nutty burley goodness, get you some Uhle's #00. You want a unique, almost complex burley experience, ABF will provide you with that.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it, David, as well as the 633. I've never tried that one, but Will is a great blender and I'm sure it will be good. Keep us posted!

David Emond and jdto like this.
  8. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

If you want a nutty Burley tobacco, OTC's or MacBaren make good ones. The Earthy Burley is my favorite. Solani, C&D, and G. L. Pease are all great companies for those.

David Emond likes this.
  9. David Emond

Ill reply back once i get the tins for fure. Im also glad to get 2 pouches of Quebec's blatter and blatter. a Burley blend and blatter reserve.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  10. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

11. David Emond

woot woot just got my 5 solani tins and another canadian burley blend.
    Unfortunately i have a small cold so i cant enjoy these yet. I didnt know that Solani was blended in Germany. There is a sticker on the back that states blended by RL will in germany and another sticker
    imported by Brigham.
    [​IMG]

ruffinogold and OldSouled65 like this.
  12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

The #633 has the highest amount of nic. Of any pipe tobacco That I have had. It's a goodddddd 1.

13. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

I hope you love ABF

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

David , Enjoy that stuff ! Theyre all fine blends :th1:

15. David Emond

Yeah too bad i have to wait another few days before I can try them. The tins are small compare to my SG chocolate flake tin. I will probably open them tonight to jar them up.

16. David Emond

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yayy so the kids are in bed for the afternoon nap. I decided to take this time to open up my solani tins for jaring.
    The presentation is top notch for Solani i would say. The tins are small compact tins and the artwork is very nice with a island native themes. The seal was very tight on all tins, i had to use my pipe tool in order to open the tins.
    There is then a nice paper wraping with a nice leaf drawing on the paper.

I 1st opened the burley tins and the smell transported me back to high school when i got my 1st pack of camel cigarettes. Now im not sure if the smell is the same but camels had a nice fruit smell and this made me think of that.
    The flakes are dark and very small like a stick of gum. 1 of my tins had the flakes on their back and the 2 others had them on their sides.

The virginia flakes with Perique had the same nice paper wrap but everything changed after that. the smell was less intense then the burley. Im not getting the spicey smell like Frog on the bayou. I would say its a fruity smell but way less intense.

These flakes are wide like twice the size of the burleys. And color wize they are lighter. But i find it funny how the flakes are not the same shape. And unfortunately, the smoke will have to wait till tonight.

Mount Mandolin and OldSouled65 like this.
  17. David Emond

So i had my 1st bowl of aged burley last night. I rubed out a flake on a paper and left it to dry for 1 hour. Then it went easy into my meer. Maybe its because i still have a bit of my cold left but i didnt taste or smell much. However the tobacco kept lit thru out the bowl so that i like compared to my SG flakes.
    I was hoping to get a bit of a nutty taste. I then prepared another bowl of my canadian burley blend and the tobacco was really flufy and went well into my meer. This also was the same result, no taste and no smell.
    I will try these out again in my cobs to see if there is a difference.

Tonight im going to try the virginia with perique flakes.

18. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

Must be the cold. I had bad luck with the aged burley in a meerschaum. Found that to best in a smaller Briar packed light, dry, and puffed slow. Tamp easy baby no relights.

Edit. An hour of dry don't work on this stuff. Or Silver Flake. Dry a flake overnight and see how that fairs.

David Emond likes this.
  19. David Emond

Well right now im outside with my ipad and i got 2 flakes of abf loaded in a cg cob. These flakes came from someone that sent me a package that i got today in the mail. Im enjoying this smoke more then on saturday but ill have to try it in my diplomat next time. Or my small tracey mincer doodler

20. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

You'll get it bro. Flakes are hard. I wanted to ask how did you prepare it? I just rub it out a flake at a time. And get it pretty fine. Some guys use a knife and chop it. I haven't tried that. But try rubbing that out (with out waking the wife) and call me tomorrow... I just said rub it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.