Solani Festival

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Anyone have any experience with this blend? I smoked my first bowl of it last night, and it seems pretty typical for a sweet aromatic. I'm going to give it a few more tries. Is it going to show me something more, or is this one of those blends that just is what it is?

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It's just a damn fine burley tobacco. Aside from the outstanding quality of the leaf used, I don't know if I'd say there was anything especially special about it, other than it's in flake form. Just an awesome burley. And with so many blenders thinking they need to throw a ton of crap into a blend, perhaps its outstanding quality delivered in such minimalistic terms makes it noteworthy.

Professor likes this.
  3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

You sure you're not thinking of ABF? Festival is listed to have burley flake in it, but the form in the tin is anything but a burley flake overall.

4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Yeah, Festival is very much... plum as I recall. I picked up a tin to try from someone who wasn't thrilled. I feel about the same. I'll finish it, but I'll be in no rush to replace it.

That said, if the tin is freshly opened, give it a week for the casing to mellow. It will be better, but still nothing exceptional.

5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I smoked it in a cob tonight, and the plum hit me upside the head. On the one hand, I have to give credit to an aromatic that tastes how it's supposed to in the snork. On the other, it's just not hitting it off with me as a blend to rotate.

6. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Thankfully my tin arrived open and having already breathed a bit, but having experienced that myself with the "hints of apricot" in Stanwell Melange I totally follow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.