Solani Silver Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by texaspilgrim, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texaspilgrim

texaspilgrim Member

I just tried a bowl of Silver Flake going by the good reviews I've seen. I found the first half of the bowl to be quite good but the last half seemed to get flat in taste. Anyone else experience this?

2. andrew

andrew Member

Going flat usually was due to excess heat for me. Consistently moderate heat = good taste (usually).

texaspilgrim likes this.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've smoke a 100g tin of Silver Flake and found it was good to the bottom. I was smoking it in Virginia dedicated briar, and typically wadded some flake w/o rubbing it out on the bottom 2/3. Rubbed a little out for the top, and no issues. :bing:

texaspilgrim likes this.
  4. texaspilgrim

texaspilgrim Member

I tend to be a fast puffer. I'll try and slow it down for this one.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a puffer too, but find a little firmer pack on top helps me slow the cadence down and not be so hot at the bottom. Ex-cigar smoker in me... :rolleyes:

6. texaspilgrim

texaspilgrim Member

I did rub it out. I'll try your method. Thanks.

BradNTX likes this.
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I smoke Silver flake as part of my regular rotation and have found the cube cut method works best for me. I only smoke it in dedicated va flake pipes and it is very tasty for me. It does smoke better at a fairly low humidity and as mentioned above, needs to be smoked slowly. I used to break all my flakes apart with my fingers or use fold and stuff, but since I tried the cube cut method, it is what I use for all my flakes.

texaspilgrim likes this.
  8. muddler

muddler Member

I have to confess to not being a fan of SSF. It doesn't have much taste to me at all. I also found it OK in the beginning then loses flavor. I use tear & stuff.

texaspilgrim likes this.
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

muddler, I find it has loads of flavor, isn't it interesting how tastes can be so different? Have you ever tried it cube cut in a dublin group 4-5 sized pipe? I find it to be very sweet and satisfying, it has a good does of nicotine also. I have noticed it does smoke best when fairly dry, some what dryer than many of my other flakes.

texaspilgrim likes this.
  10. andrew

andrew Member

Man, I have never cube cut it before... gonna have to try that.

11. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

The first time I ever thought, "Aha, this is what pipe smoking can be," I was smoking Silver Flake. Since then, my tastes have migrated a bit, but Silver Flake still has a little nook in my cellar for auld lang syne. It's a great blend.

12. Dogman

Dogman Member

I love this stuff, almost as much as Dinhill Flake, more than OGS. I smoke it in my MM Mizzou cob or my mini church warden. I think it does well in a smaller pipe. And gets even better in a cob when mixed with a dash of CH.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If I had to pick one currently available tobacco to proclaim my favorite, SSF would probably be it. Or at least in the top 3.

14. Dogman

Dogman Member

*Dunhill, wtf autocorrect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.