Some Blending Advice Please - a couple of home blends

Discussion in 'Blending' started by fogpipe, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Blend 1
    1/3 CD red va cav
    1/3 CD cube cut burley
    1/3 dark burley

This one turned out pretty good. Put it in a mason jar on the stove in a pan of water for about 3 hours and its sat on the radiator for a couple of days. Really crammed into the jar to get it to hopefully marry. I think of it as Mighty Joe Young, since it reminds me of OJK without the perique. Its a little bland tho, a little bit of smokey / sweet wouldnt hurt it. Any advice?

Blend 2
    1/3 CD red vav
    1/3 CD cube cut burley
    1/3 CD white burley
    a little bit of dark burley (adjusting that)

This one too is a little bland. Prepared it same as above. Needs sweetening up Any advice?

I ordered the CD tobaccos from smokingpipes.com and the red va cav is good stuff imo. Good enough to smoke by itself. I actually started this because i like OJK, but thought it might taste better without perique I would also appreciate any advice anyone may have on flavoring. It occurred to me while smoking test bowls of both of the above that a little molasses flavor might go nicely. Whats the recommended way of getting molasses flavor into tobacco?

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

You could sweeten it up by using some stoved Va from McClelland, or even Red Cake from McClelland would work.

If it needs a lot of sweetness, you could use McClelland 5120.

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

I do not smoke many burley blends, so it's hard to say what it would need unless I sampled a few bowls.

4. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Update: I added some red va ( not cavendish) to blend 2. Both blends seem very smokable and i have been smoking a bowl or two of at least one of them daily. I also created a 3rd blend that is 3 parts red va and 2 parts white burley that also turned out pretty good. All three of my experiments seem to have improved over just a couple of weeks time merely from being tightly compressed in small mason jars for just a couple of weeks.
    My only conclusion is that if you start with tobaccos that arent highly flavored and are acceptable smokes on their own, you will likely get ok results. I have some C&D va flake coming that im looking forward to blending with some burley.
    Im liking the white burley especially as a blender, it seems to tone down the burn temp and the bite of virginias.
    For my next experiement i would like to try to add some flavoring to a blend, anyone know how to add bergamot flavoring to a tobacco?

5. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Note to self and anyone else paying attention, my experience blending ryo tobacco suggests that blend 1 might benefit from a splash of turkish.
    Also, it seems to take about a month at least for the marrying process. Of course its only been a month, so more time might be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.