• Sales and advertising are not allowed in this section. This forum is for discussing pipe making only.

If a pipe or item is for sale, or potentially for sale, do not post it in this forum section.

Some clay pipe making questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to make some clay pipes as gifts and after reading this awesome thread https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/operation-clay-pipe.8260/ front to back I think I got a pretty good idea of how to make the gin. What I'm wondering is what clays should be used and how important is the compression for strength. I've tried out a couple reproductions but none seem to be quite as sturdy as the one in the video is there a trick or something to that?
At 2:05 she bangs it against the table hard enough to break most of my clays...

dwaugh

Staff member
Deiter, the clay I used in that thread was, if I remember correctly, a stoneware slip. I don't know if slip (liquid clay), is ever as strong as clay with a lower water content (although I'm sure that has been extensively studied). Also, because the pipes I made, and many of the commercially available pipes, are slip cast, they tend to be thinner, and therefor weaker. The other factor that will effect the pipes is the firing temperature. I fired the pipes at a number of different temperatures, but never to "maturity". If I had fired them at a higher temperature, they might have been stronger, but as a tradeoff they would not be as absorbent (to what extent that would matter, I have no idea). If I ever made more, I would try to make a mold like shown in the video, as apposed to the plaster slip casting mold. Let us know how you make out!

Deiter, the clay I used in that thread was, if I remember correctly, a stoneware slip. I don't know if slip (liquid clay), is ever as strong as clay with a lower water content (although I'm sure that has been extensively studied). Also, because the pipes I made, and many of the commercially available pipes, are slip cast, they tend to be thinner, and therefor weaker. The other factor that will effect the pipes is the firing temperature. I fired the pipes at a number of different temperatures, but never to "maturity". If I had fired them at a higher temperature, they might have been stronger, but as a tradeoff they would not be as absorbent (to what extent that would matter, I have no idea). If I ever made more, I would try to make a mold like shown in the video, as apposed to the plaster slip casting mold. Let us know how you make out!
So would a normal off the shelf stoneware would be fine for this or should I aim for a kaolin if I'm doing non slip cast pipe?
I have a small forge and I'm planning to just load it up with charcoal and cover it with a lid insulated with some sand would that get it hot enough for long enough to fire kaolin? I've done some cups doing that but I mainly used lower temp clays and glazes.

Status
Not open for further replies.